+ Reply to Thread

Thread: testing water in the winter

Default testing water in the winter

I noticed that the moderators test their water in the winter. I have two questions about this.

First, I use a safety cover for my inground and do not really have access to the pool water. How vital is checking the water in the winter?

Second, do you add chemicals in the winter without the pump running? I would be concerned about adding acid in a very small corner so close to the liner with no water circulating.

That being said, I usually open to a green pool that takes 2 to 3 days to clear. So, my current strategy (2 bottles of PQ and FC=10 with CYA 30) is less than perfect.

Tony
    25,000 IG vinyl Utopia pool

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: testing water in the winter

I do test my water maybe once or twice in the winter, but it probably isn't necessary. I mostly do it just because I want to be out there messing with my pool. I have never had to actually add anything over the winter. As long as I start the winter with my ph at the high end of normal and my cl high as well, my pool is fine until spring. But, when the air temp begins to warm up, I begin early to test because I don't want to let an algae bloom get started. I am usually anxious for pool season by then anyways, so I am usually ready to start testing. I actually go ahead and hook up my equipment fairly early so i can start circulating when the water begins to warm up some even though it may be weeks before we actually swim. By using my solar heaters, we can usually begin swimming at the beginning of May.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

I stopped covering my IG several years ago for various reasons. I do keep a couple 5 gallon bucket holes so I can access liquid water through the ice. I think the record is 17". Like Watermom, I like to play and try and get a jump on Spring. I do raise the pH and hit the chlorine as late as possible and generally have no problem in the Spring. I have never added anything while closed. While my regular equipment is winterized I can use an old pump and PVC pipes into those access holes to jury rig circulation if I ever had to.
    Al

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Once I close my pool the only thing I check is the water level.

Like Al, I like pH to be a bit higher for the winter.

Generally, I first get all the tests where I want them and raise pH to 7.6-7.8.

Then I shock the pool to the shock level appropriate for my CYA (whereever I have it that season).

I then add 1 quart of Polyquat 60% and wait 48 hours. I test FC again (it usually drops to single digits or even to 0), then I shock it up to the shock level again, then close it.

I first lower the water level by backwashing the filter (to clean it too) until it's below the skimmer. I turn off the skimmer (I have a ball valve for that) and lower the water well below the returns using my low drain.

I plug the openings (returns and low drain), cover the skimmer, put in a Gizmo, disconnect and drain all the plumbing, put on the safety cover (mesh) and put everything away.

About once a month I check the water level and syphon off some if it's getting too high. Otherwise, I leave it alone until mid-April when the worst cold is over and begin the opening process.
    Carl

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

I test mine because I don't ever close it. We swim from early April through October, and it's so warm here there's no need to close. I don't test as frequently as during the swim season, though--usually only once every week to 10 days to make sure I still have chlorine in it. I don't do any other chemical adjusting during the winter except to add bleach occasionally.

Janet

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

elsie is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst elsie 0

My pool is covered for 8 months of the year. Here in the south I just cover it, don't close it, placing a couple of automatic cover pumps on it to pump off rainwater. I shock to 15/20 before I cover it and only check the water level occasionally because I need to run the pump if it drops below 25 degrees for a number of hours, which might happen less than a dozen times during the winter. Unfortunately it needs to stay covered despite the climate because of fall/winter leaves and the prolific mess that comes from the trees for many weeks during the spring (if it wasn't for the incredible spring mess I'd uncover January 1st and leave open). In the five years I've had the pool, I've always opened to a clear pool; I don't use an algaecide. Over those 8 months my CL only drops to 8/10 ppm. When I first uncover around May 1st, the pH doesn't read correctly, I assume because of the cold water, so it doesn't make any sense to even test it during the winter. I do run the pump right now an hour a day since the water's still pretty warm to keep things mixed up until our weather turns sharply colder.

Thank you all for your replies.

I will try to raise my FC to 10 for a few days, add 2 qts of PQ and then retest after to keep the FC at 10 and then close. I will leave it until spring. I usually open in early May (that is on the early side for NE Ohio.)

Tony
    25,000 IG vinyl Utopia pool

+ Reply to Thread