+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Motor replacement -- Most reliable website for online ordering?

Arrow Motor replacement -- Most reliable website for online ordering?

Hey Folks,

Long time lurker here. I posted once or twice before the forum crash a few years ago, and the wealth of information since has accumulated very nicely here. It's nice to be back!

Even after 6 years of inground pool ownership, I'm still a novice when it comes to the hardware aspect of things. You have to pretty much enjoy the maintenance side of pool ownership, otherwise it can drive you nuts!

After careful inspection it looks to be that the motor's bearings have decided to check-out. When spinning the shaft by hand, and with a close ear, I can feel a rough spot and hear a distinct scraping sound.

Before this, the pump motor started to screech loud enough to hear from the inside of the house.

:sigh: Right when the warm part of the Summer starts to kick in too.

The reason for this thread:

Can anyone recommend a website for motor replacements?

I jotted all of my motor/pump info down, and Im anxiously searching for a replacement so I can get the water flowing again.

In the downtime, I'm thinking of buying a submerisble pump, throwing it into the deep end, and running the return into the spa... (Any comments on this move?)

I'm also looking to replace a busted 3 way valve (the grease fitting sheered off), and maybe run some unions when I goto replumb everything back in place.

THANKS!

Default Re: Motor replacement -- Most reliable website for online ordering?

I don't know what kind of pump you're looking for, but I bought a Hayward SuperPump from an eBay seller who goes by the name 'Backyardlivin' and was very satisfied with their price and delivery.

No other connection except satisfied buyer.

C.

I am looking for AO Smith 2hp motor, #K48M2PA104 (Looks like the replacement part # is USQ1202).

When searching for #USQ1202, lots of websites come up and so do a lot of the price variances.
    Brian
    South Bay Area, CA

I just recently had to replace my motor and I bought my new one from poolcenter.com and I was very satisfied with the results.
    Boyd
    27' Round AG, 17,204 gallons, sand filter
    &
    Proud Father of an Army Soldier

I had my dad come by and pick the motor up. We're going to try a local shop for the bearing R&R.
    Brian
    South Bay Area, CA

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

If it is just the bearings it is an easy and cheap fix provided you can press or knock the old ones out. When pumps are exposed to the elements, i.e. wet, the bearings can really get rusted in so that you can't get the old ones out without destroying something. Tried freeing the bearings on a pump last year that was exposed to the elements for a number of years. Used every trick I know and no luck. Rest of the motor was pretty weatherbeaten too. My pump has resided in a poolhouse for 9 years and looks like new. More reasons to keep rain and snow off a pump.
    Good Luck.
    Al

Looks like we're better off going with a whole new pump/motor assembly. My pool originally came with a 2hp motor, but since then we've added solar heating.

Would jumping up to 2.5hp be any sort of major issue? It looks like I'll be moving more water, which is a good thing, because sometimes we have 10-12 people in the pool at one time. I need that turnover!

In the meantime, I bought a 1/4hp submersible pump to keep the water moving from the deep end into the hot tub. I'm not letting my pool turn green!
    Brian
    South Bay Area, CA

More than likely you can get by with LESS pump, rather than more. Most pool builders oversize pumps. What you need to know is how many suction side inlets do you have and how big are the pipes, how many returns do you have and how big are the pipes. Also, unless your solar is on a 2nd story, you really don't need to upsize the pump for solar. Poolplaza.com has good pump info, I have not bought from them, but the website is really informative.

Living in CA, you should look at getting a 2 speed or multi-speed pump. If they aren't already required, they are going to be soon. You should be able to get a significant kickback from your electric company for installing an approved pump (call them before buying anything).

Decided to just order a new replacement motor, impeller, shaft seal, and pump housing seal.

Also, this is a good opportunity to move my DE filter to the other cement pad we have. It'll give me more room around the pump/motor area, and around the filter for future servicing.

Lastly, while the water evaps from the pool I think I want to get the tiled calcium build up off. Can anyone recommend products for doing so?
    Brian
    South Bay Area, CA

topless is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst topless 0

I went to Graingers, through my job, we have an account there.
    Most electric motor repair shops carry replacement motors and you may find their prices quite competitive, especially since you won't have to pay freight. The A.O. Smith motors come with a 1 year warranty.

+ Reply to Thread