+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Re: FAQ: Common Spring Startup Errors

Default Re: FAQ: Common Spring Startup Errors - No CYA

I believe my pool has the exact condition you're describing in #1. I had 100+ CYA at the close of last year and opened last week to CYA 0.

I've put more than 30 gallons of 6% bleach into the pool in the last 6 days. In the first few days the pool would use up more than 10 ppm Cl per day.

I have run the FC to more than 20 ppm, and never dropped below 10 ppm. I also added about 4 lbs of CYA. Throughout, I've had .5 ppm of CC which I can't get rid of. The pool water is no longer green, but is very cloudy and continues to drop quite a bit of "dirt" on the floor each day.

Right now I'm running:

FC 12
    CC .5
    PH 7.2
    CYA 50
    Pool size 36,000 gallons

I note in PoolDoc's post that I should run the pH up to 7.5. I added about a pound of Borax to increase the pH (I'm not sure how much to add - doesn't look like BleachCalc does that one).

I'm not sure why I should raise the pH. I thought that chlorine was more effective at lower pH values. Any thoughts?

I'm not sure where to go with this from here. Should I just keep dumping in more chlorine until it gets clear? Should I maintain FC higher than 10 ppm? Should I go for a super whammy shock treatment - I have a book "The Pool Maintenance Manual" by Terry Tamminen that suggests a 50 ppm dose to shock. Would my vinyl liner be in jeopardy with something like that?

Greatly appreciate any advice or comments that anyone can provide and hopefully I can one day repay the favor.
    Last edited by vanhout; 04-25-2006 at 10:32 PM.

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: FAQ: Common Spring Startup Errors

Vanhout -
    I moved your post out of Ben's FAQ on common spring startup problems. I think that may be one reason you haven't gotten any responses. Hopefully, you'll start to get more views now.

Update with current water testing results including alk and calcium hardness. You didn't give those two last time. They might play into your cloudy water problem. Also, tell us if you have put anything into the pool other than bleach.

Watermom

Default No CYA

Thanks for the reply.

I've now put more than 60 gallons of Clorox into my 36,000 gallon pool in the last 10 days. The pool has gone from mildly green to very cloudy. It's only gotten slightly less cloudy in the last day or two. I haven't had the FC less than 10 in the whole 10 day period, and I've had it as high as 30. It eats 8 - 10 ppm a night. The sand filter's been running 24/7.

I just added some chlorine earlier tonite, so my FC is up around 22.

I tested the TA and got 150, but it turned clear, not red, so I don't know if it's accurate or not, maybe the FC being high impacts it.

My ph is running about 7.0, again, I don't know if the high chlorine impacts that.

I'll retest everything tomorrow when the FC comes down. It'll be 10 by tomorrow afternoon.

I'm questioning myself as to whether I should keep putting so much chlorine in. What do you think?

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: No CYA

How about an update on water testing results and how your water looks. Any improvement?

Watermom

Thanks.

Still cloudy.

My water results now are:

FC 11
    CC .5
    PH 7.2
    TA 140
    CH 350 ? sample never turned blue, went clear at about 350
    CYA 50
    VOL 36,000 gal

I added another 2.5 lbs of Borax a couple of hours ago, but it didn't really move the needle on PH. I'll check it again in the morning and if it's still down I'll add another couple of pounds, trying to get to the 7.5 recommended in the sticky for the zero CYA startup condition.

It's almost dark, I'm not going to add any chlorine and see what it drops to by morning.

Any thoughts?

MarkC is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher MarkC 1 star

When you said this "but it didn't really move the needle on PH " Are you using a pH meter to test your pH. If you are MOST inexpensive pH meters are notoriously inaccurate so I would rely on a drops based test method.

I hope it is getting better today. Since you are still getting a CC reading, I would continue to maintain shock levels with your chlorine. If you had a lot of algae, the cloudiness may just be the sand filter taking awhile to filter out the dead algae. Some people with sand filters have had some luck with adding a little DE to their sand filter to help clear it. Poconos does that. I'll alert him to this thread and see if he thinks that might be something that could help you. Hang in there. It will clear up. Post with any changes today.

Watermom

Thanks for the replies.

On the "move the needle" comment - no, I'm not using a meter, just meant it as the expression. I added about 1.5 pounds of Borax this morning and I'm now at 7.5 pH. I was trying to get it up to 7.5 or greater, per Ben's sticky on this subject, but I'm not sure why, because I thought Chlorine was more effective at lower pH.

Last night I lost about 2.5 ppm of FC overnite. Water is still cloudy. I put in another 1.44 gal 6% bottle this morning, and I guess I'll just keep maintaining my Cl above 10 ppm. I don't know what else to do.

I'm up to 66 gallons of 6% Cl used since I opened the pool 13 days ago. I've bought so much Chlorine at Costco in the last 2 weeks that I'm worried Homeland Security might start an investigation.

Any other thoughts?

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

You can try adding DE like Watermom suggested. Here's the link to the thread where I mentioned this and how to do it.
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...ht=%28ajs-1%29

Al

Quote Originally Posted by Poconos
    You can try adding DE like Watermom suggested. Here's the link to the thread where I mentioned this and how to do it.
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...ht=%28ajs-1%29

Al
    I'm going to give this a try.

+ Reply to Thread