FC 8
    CC .5
    TC 8.5
    PH 7.5
    ALK 130
    Cal 50
    CYA 35
    Temp 79

I think I am getting closer... Any Suggestions?

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: 2nd Test Results

Quote Originally Posted by The Pool Newbie
    26,400 gal
    Vinyl
    SG
    3100 PPM

FC 8
    CC .5
    TC 8.5
    PH 7.5
    ALK 130
    Cal 50
    CYA 35
    Temp 79

I think I am getting closer... Any Suggestions?
    Closer to what? Those results are absolutely perfect! Go swimming! Let me guess: your CC is slightly pink but one drop clears it--so it's really .5 or less. If it's REALLY .5 (or slightly more), shock up to 10-12ppm and that should clear it.

You can let your FC come down a little but I wouldn't DREAM of altering any of your other numbers.

Bullseye, first shot! This has GOT to be SOME kind of record. I don't think we've EVER seen a newbie do this before! Congratulations!

Things to watch:

pH should be between 7.3 and 7.8--7.5 is MY personal preference
    ALK is 80- 130, but with vinyl I don't worry until I get past 180. Even then I'm not worried, I just lower it. If it hits 200, I worry and start lowering.
    Cal is irrelevant in vinyl. 50's just fine. If you hit 500ppm you should act to lower it.
    CYA: I recommend 30-50 generally, and 60 sometimes. But I prefer 30-40 myself, so you are perfect.
    Temp: 79---Ok, here you can get it warmer--I'm a bit of a softie--I like 82-94deg myself. But the kids don't care.

I would not use Tri-chlor tablets or Di-Chlor pucks--they'll mess with your perfect pH and CYA.

I would recommend bleach/liquid chlorine, but you can use Cal-hypo powder as well--you have LOTS of room on the cal number.
    Just stop with Cal-Hypo when Calcium reaches 400ppm. Also use 68% Cal-hypo, not 48%.

Once your SG is fully on-line, you can run FC levels as they recommend--then you probably won't even need the bleach or cal-hypo!
    Last edited by CarlD; 04-25-2006 at 10:06 PM.
    Carl

Thanks Carl... You are just too kind... You know what they say about a blind and lazy dog and the sun shinning down... =)=) or even a broken clock being right twice a day!!!

I have an idea that my Salt calibration is a little out of whack on my autopilot... Neither of the two pool stores I visited had a salt tester or even the strips... I ordered some strips that should be in in a couple days to double check... I have it set all the way down to 40% and only running about 9 hrs a day at two seperate intervals and it still has my FC up around 8... Would like to get it down to 3-5 for the eyes...

Thanks for the other tips...

Good people here on the forums!

Scott

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

My pleasure!

I don't know nuttin' about salt measures--but I'd suggest a drop kit over strips...
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread