+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wanted: Mustard algae or suspected mustard algae

Default Wanted: Mustard algae or suspected mustard algae

Wanted dead or alive: Yellow "mustard" Algae

I'd like to find this no good scoundrel and put him to the test. Is he what he's made of or not. I'd like to find out! :twisted: lol

Hi all...

If you've got mustard algae or what you believe to be mustard algae I'd love to get a sample and look at it under a microscope. I know a few people have had recurring problems in previous years and would appreciate it if he or anyone else who comes across this stuff could send me a sample.

Is there anyone who has also had a recurring problem with mustard algae?

Also any pictures from above the water is appreciated too. But close-ups from a skimmer sock, the inside of a filter, squeeze bottle sample...anything would be great!

Any descriptions of how your mustard algae behaved?

Thanks,
    dan
    Last edited by gonefishin; 08-18-2007 at 01:56 PM.

Default Re: Wanted: Mustard algae or suspected mustard algae

Dan,
    I would love to send you some.
    I have what everyone is talking about.
    I will take a child's medicine syringe and see if I can get some.
    I have behavioral patterns noted in this link. Please read this link & tell me if you want what I have.
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthr...2285#post52285
    Also in that link is a link to a thread at TFpools wherein ALOT of people talk of their experiences. I will see if i can get some pictures and post them on your thread here.
    Also, I am begining to suspect Pollen. I get Pollen/Allergy alerts sent to my email everyday. The current and recent active pollens have been Ragweed, Chenopods and Nettle these have been active for the past month or more.
    That is something to consider. Maybe ChemGeek knows what they look like under a microscope. Infact, my oldest son is a little science geek, I am pretty sure his scope goes to 400x. If I can get some of the stuff from my pool maybe I should look at it.

Sure would be nice to get to the bottom of this mystery.

~Hoffmans

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

Pollen vs. algae is VERY easy to distinguish under a microscope. This link shows light microscope pictures of a variety of pollens. Notice that they all have a somewhat solid appearance, are usually round (though not always), sometimes have spikes. This site has lots of pictures of algae which you can see usually have oblong (more rectangular) cell shapes, are more translucent, often form clusters or filaments, etc.

Common mustard algae is Pleurochloris pyrenoidosa. Common green algae is Oocystis sp. Common black algae is Phormidium minnesotense. You can also search on the web for more pictures of these particular algae.

Richard
    Last edited by chem geek; 08-18-2007 at 03:08 PM.

Thanks for the additional info chemgeek. Hopefully there will be involvement.

Hoffmans...I can't wait to hear back from you. Either respond in this thread or by private message. Thanks!

dan

mikemedic is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst mikemedic 0

Talking Re: Wanted: Mustard algae or suspected mustard algae

I have too been fighting what I think is Mustard Algae. My pool water is very clear but in areas i am getting streaks of yellow and sometime a cloudy film on the bottom. It is not slimy but keeps reoccurring and doesn't affect the water clarity. I jacked my FC up to 20-22 ppm as my cya is 70. The chlorine level is holding over night and was before. I think this is mustard algae or could it be pollen, anyways i am on my 2 day of keeping th FC above 20. I am going to do it for a few more days due to it being crappy rainy here in West Virginia.

I wish I would have taken some pics. If the crap comes back I will take some pics and post

Mike....GO MOUNTAINEERS!

GoneFishin,
    Ask and you shall recieve.
    I got the samples by using a child's medicine syringe. Googles made for clear viewing under water. It is difficult to retreive this stuff. It vanishes easily and puffs up and clouds away into an invisible powder when disturbed. But turn your back & it will return.

[IMG]

Sorry the pictures are not that great. It was windy and there was alot of ripples on the water.
    If you want more pics I will try to get some that are more clear.
    Just let me know.

My symptoms are the same as Mikemedic & everyone elses'.Did you read that long thread @ TFpool?

I would be happy to share the wealth of our mysterious brown pool potion.

My email is hoffmans@oct.net
    I can bottle it and mail it if you like.
    ~Amber Hoffman
    Last edited by hoffmans; 08-22-2007 at 12:10 AM.

Tredge is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst Tredge 0

Borax solved this problem for me....looks to be gone for good.

All summer and not a spec of it since I added Borax. Had a good amount early spring before I added it tho!

First summer algae free for me.
    Some people have hobbies.....I have a pool.

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

There was also a recent report in this post on another forum where using PolyQuat 60 appears to keep away yellow/mustard algae as well, though it's a bit too early to know for sure. So use of an alagecide, either 30-50 ppm Borates (by the way, what is your Borate level?) or weekly PolyQuat 60 combined with chlorine keeps away yellow/mustard algae without needing the higher chlorine levels.

We know from other users that keeping the Free Chlorine (FC) level at a minimum of 15% of the CYA level will keep away yellow/mustard algae without any need for an additional algaecide, but it appears to be a rather hard limit and a high FC level that some people don't want to deal with (it's about double the "minimum" FC of 7.5% of the CYA level for green algae that roughly corresponding to Ben's "Min" column). Others have shocked their pools (and equipment -- poles, etc.) at FC levels of 60% of the CYA level and eliminated the algae, but it wasn't easy. So there are various options for people.

Richard
    Last edited by chem geek; 08-22-2007 at 10:21 PM.

mikemedic is offline ** No working email address ** Thread Analyst mikemedic 0

good to know, i jacked my FC to about 20 for 4 days. Seems on now, but this happened before. If my CYA is 70 I would need to leave my FC at 10.5?
    I may try this, having a rainy humid august, then i may back off in sept.

How do I measure borates? I have a taylor test kit K2006 I believe, and if I add borax will this not jack up my PH?

GIve me some ideas

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by mikemedic View Post
    How do I measure borates? I have a taylor test kit K2006 I believe, and if I add borax will this not jack up my PH?
    You have to buy the borate strips separately...Accucheck has some out, and I believe LaMotte might have some, too. If you add the borax, it will jack up the pH...you'll have to counter the pH rise by adding muriatic acid so that your pH stays within normal ranges, just the borates increase.

Janet

+ Reply to Thread