+ Reply to Thread

Thread: pool super shock

Default pool super shock

Hi folks.
    I got the Mustard algae/brown/yellow dusty evil disappearing reapperaring magical #@#%^@ crap on the bottom creases/crevices of my vinyl liner AG 33'round pool.
    Roughly 26000 gallons. Give or take.
    Kansas

In full sun from sun up to sundown.
    FC 9
    CC 0
    pH 8.2+
    TA 150
    CYA 32
    CH ?

According to research on this forum and this thread sticky http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=5612
    I need to Super Shock my pool.
    And I think Matt 4x4 is right. The water needs to be shocked to at least 25ppm
    To even begin to frighten this stuff.

How many jugs of 6% bleach do I need to shock to 25ppm?
    I buy the jugs from Aldi - the jugs are 96oz (3 quarts) of Ultra Bleach.

I thought it was dust from the dirt roads.
    I was wrong.
    This stuff is wicked. It is sneaky. It is tricky.
    I think it needs an excorsism.

I am not real confident in my ability to use the Bleach caculator properly, so I was hoping someone could help me out w/ how many jugs (since they are not actual GALLON jugs) of my bleach to dump in.

All my gratitude,
    ~hoffmans

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: pool super shock

In a 26,000 gallon pool, each quart will raise your chlorine by approx. 0.6 ppm. So, for every 2 jugs (3 quarts of 6% bleach in each jug) it will raise your level by about 3.6 ppm. (Use 3.5 so the math will be easier.) Hope that helps you calculate how much you need to add.

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

For maximum effectiveness, lower the pH to 7.2 before adding such a large amount of chlorine and for both the initial acid to lower the pH and for the chlorine addition, be sure to add it very, very slowly. I would add both over the return flow in the deep end and then brush the sides and bottom in the area after addition just to make sure it's thoroughly mixed. For sure do not add the acid to the skimmer, but some people do add the chlorine that way (I'm not as certain it's as good as the return flow into the main body of water). I'm just concerned for your vinyl liner with concentrated chemical addition (I'm not concerned with the high diffuse FC level).

ohhh ChemGeek,
    This is me, I have their problem too.http://www.troublefreepool.com/viewt...r=asc&start=20 It is like reading my life when i read this thread that you all chimed in on.
    I feel so beaten up by this crap. It is such an stupid emotional roller coaster.
    I had it all gone. I had it all vac'd up w/ my pool buster, my daughter and i were floating around saying wow look no brown stuff. Then i decided it was time to do some excersizes and did 10 running whirlpool laps around the pool then turned around and did one lap against the force then floated around for 10min or so while the water calmed down. And guess what happened? I looked down-BAM tons of brown dusty powdery crappity crap EVERYWHERE!
    EVERYWHERE!!!!!! Just minutes ago before the whirlpool laps there was NONE Zippo Ziltch!
    Oh my gosh i wanted to cry. My pool is possesed! It was like someone punched me in the gut. I couldn't believe my eyes. It was everywhere on nearly every seam on the bottom of the liner.

I am going to get a robotic pool cleaner. I think i will get the Robo Kleen.
    I can not pool buster for 2 and 3 hours everyday anymore. I have been vac'ing & fighting this stuff for weeks. It's just not right.

When i dive down to get some of this stuff, i try to pintch some between my fingers so i can bring it up and look at it but, you can't- it just turns to smoke, like a cloud, there is nothing there to *pick up*.

oh golly, sorry to melt down here.
    Hoffmans

+ Reply to Thread