+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brushing the walls?

Default Brushing the walls?

Hello All....
    It just occured to me......
    I am I supposed to be brushing the vinyl walls of my pool under the water?
    I have not brushed the walls yet........
    Will it make my pool cloudy? It is so crystal clear, I don't want anything to mess it up.
    The walls don't feel or look dirty or slippery/slimy.

Thanks!
    ~Hoffmans

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Brushing the walls?

I brush mine once a week or so just in case there's anything there that needs to be dislodged. It shouldn't make your pool cloudy unless you have sand or algae in it, and in that case shocking and running the filter will clear it up.

Janet

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Thumbs up Re: Brushing the walls?

Quote Originally Posted by aylad View Post
    I brush mine once a week or so just in case there's anything there that needs to be dislodged. It shouldn't make your pool cloudy unless you have sand or algae in it, and in that case shocking and running the filter will clear it up.

Janet
    Janet, you could have also added that if it does cloud the pool, those areas DEFINATELY!! needed the brushing
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

I have NEVER brushed my walls, actually, I just noticed the other day that my brush is in desperate need of a garbage can from hanging in the sun most times.......
    The only cleaning of walls I've ever done is the scum line that appears every spring - I really don't think brushing a necessary component of pool maintenance - maybe if you got an algae outbreak, but even then, when I did have that years ago, I still didn't bother to brush and got the pool cleared up in no time flat.

Hi Hoffmans,

The only part of my pool wall that I brush regularly is along and above the water line, and then it's not so much brushing as swishing water on it to remove the pollen and othe fine debris that might get stuck there.

I do brush the bottom, though not the whole thing all the time. I tend to brush when silt collects in the wrinkles. I have that one spot where there just doesn't seem to be enough circulation, so I stir it up with the brush while the pump is running and it pretty much gets caught in the skimmer sock.

I do brush the walls at startup after having added a goodly amount of chlorine. Because the water is too cold, then, to get in and do a proper job of it, I have to do it from the outside, which is not all that efficient. But I rigged a shortened broom handle to my straight brush which makes things slightly less awkward. Good upper body exercise though

Anna
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

NWMNMom is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver NWMNMom 0

I only brush the waterline after heavy junk buildup/fall into the pool (storms or bug migrations) and the floor, never the walls. No reason to.
    Beats driving to the lake!
    18'x33'x52" AG oval, hard plumbed system, 22" Pentair Meteor Filter 1.5hp pump, Goldline SWCG System, 2/4x20 SolarBear Panels, Biltmore Steps - 16x14' composite deck, Pool Rover Jr

I brush the walls after a good Haboob to push the dirt down to where the cleaners gets it better.
    14'x31' kidney 21K gal IG plaster pool; SWCG (Saline Generating System's SGS Breeze); Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE DE filter; Whisperflow 1 HP pump; 8 hours hrs; kit purchased from Ben; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; PF:5.7

mjs31 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst mjs31 0

I just take the brush, shorten it down and walk around the pool a few times (inside the pool) with the brush on the wall. A little exercise (very little) and it knocks anything down that needs to be gotten rid of.

+ Reply to Thread