+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SWG and old return pipes

Default SWCG and old return pipes

Hello,

I'm interested in adding a Salt Water Chlorine Generator and definitely a newbie in the topic.

I got my pool replastered last year. The company that did the replastering recommended against SWCG for me saying that I'd need to replace the old return pipes that I have for my pool. My pool is about 40 years old and I can see that the PVC pipe coming out of the pump is connected to a galvanized metal pipe that goes to the returns. I'm not sure what's underground, but probably metal all the way to the return openings.

Is there really a problem (e.g. corrosion) with having SWCG inlined without replacing my return pipes with PVC or other types of pipes? If you have URLs that have more descriptions around this, I'd appreciate those pointers.

I've read about stainless steel filters possibly not compatible with SWCG (I have a Pentair Nautilus Stainless Steel DE filter) but didn't find info on the problem(s) with SWCG and metal pipes.

Also, which brand of SWCG system do people recommend? Is the AquaRite system better than the Intellichlor?

I appreciate help with clarifications to any of the above.
    Last edited by 105ex; 08-12-2007 at 01:29 PM.

Default Re: SWG and old return pipes

105ex,

My recommendation is that unless you know the condition of your pipes, and are assured there are no corrosion or damage to your pipes, especially underground, it would be safe to install a salt system.

However, I must caution you that, as you mentioned your pool is 40 yrs old, I would venture to say that there's probably going to be a fair amount of degradation of your pipes and that adding a salt system would not be a good idea.
    Any subsequent damage or leaks will not be a quick, easy fix, and may end up doing more damage.

If you are looking to add a salt system, I greatly recommend going through and upgrading your galvanized pipes to PVC throughout. After 40 years, it's probably due for it anyway.
    Sean Assam
    Commercial Product Sales Manager - AquaCal AutoPilot Inc. Mobile: 954-325-3859
    e-mail: sean@teamhorner.com --- www.autopilot.com - www.aquacal.com

Default Re: SWG and old return pipes

Thank you for your reply and recommendations, Poolsean.

+ Reply to Thread