+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: More Spiders

Default More Spiders

Everyday I get about 20 dead spiders in the bottom of my pool. It's become part of my routine to jump in with goggles and skimmer (without pole) and clean them off the bottom of the pool. Kinda fun I guess, but if I didn't do this I would have to vacuum everyday to keep the pool bottom clean. Seems like they would float and be sucked in the skimmer, or get sucked into the drain, but they don't. They just pile up on the bottom in the deep end.

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

Default Re: More Spiders

I feel your pain I live in the woods, and always have dead spiders in the pool - live ones too (before they drown) Also many other bugs, and the occasional dead rodent I do have to vacuum everyday - I have a white fiberglass pool, Thank goodness for my aquabot
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

We have zero woods by us, but do have a large grassy park behind my backyard. We also get the occasional mole or turtle plus several frogs every week.

topless is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst topless 0

I get rolly-polly's the most, 10-15 a day sometimes. I also get a steady supply of spiders and centipedes and the occasional toad.
    I am always amazed at the number of house flies that fly into the pool during the day. You can sit and watch them, I guess they can't see the water.

Jeff - I'd like to know why these spiders sink so quickly too. I bet you are getting what are known as Wolf Spiders. They are ground dwellers that don't keep webs like most spiders. They forage on the ground for their food and carry they egg sacks and hatched young on their abdomen. They are quite the creepy spider, and large too.

I pull at least 1 a day during the early part of the year. It slows down later on only to be replaced by the frogs. I free my frogs from the skimmers every morning. They crack me up when the jump right back in the pool and take off swimming.
    --
    Phantomandy

18x36 IG Vinyl Grecian / Hayward H250 Heater / Hayward Sand Filter / Rainbow Trichlor Online Feeder / Treated using BBB and Trichlor Combo / Tested using the world famous (and now exclusive) PS233 Kit

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

If you'll put a boogie board, pool noodle or frisbee in the water at night, the spiders will climb on it and you can remove them from the pool and THEN kill them. Watch out for the babies, though--looks like something out of a Stephen King movie when they scatter!!

Janet

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Cool Re: More Spiders

I know poly 60 is the algaecide to use but, if you pour a little of the linear quats (I think it's ammonia based ?) on them they sink and twitch almost immediately - [sick laugh] - oh, sure you've then gotta vacuum them up, but there is a certain satisfaction in knowing that they won't be using your arm as a ladder out of the pool
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

These people in West Virginia talk funny. They call them SPYDERS.
    On a serious note I was infested with a good crop of caterpillars this Spring in Northeast PA. They seem to float when they die.
    Al

Try this website they have lots of ideas on how to remove spiders.

The Ladybug idea looks good. They live around our pool and we have no spider issues. We have cane spiders in the house but they are great for killing mosquitos.

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/01/010716a.cfm

Aloha
    Last edited by smallpooldad; 07-27-2008 at 12:17 AM.

Spiders and earthworms every darn morning. Occasional "Wolfie" but mostly long whispy "daddy Long Legs" which, I'm not sure, may not be spiders with 6 legs. Who cares, its a pain. Biggest real problem though is bees. Not so aggressive, but dipping onto the surface, unintentional contact is almost a certainty. ANyone have ideas?

+ Reply to Thread