+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tab on skimmer weir broken

Default Tab on skimmer weir broken

There is supposed to be a plastic tab on my skimmer that keeps the door from swinging out into the pool. On one of the skimmers that tab is broken off, so the door flops back and forth. Any recommendation about how to repair that (e.g., some kind of glue and plastic)? Thanks in advance.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Tab on skimmer weir broken

Weirs are usually replaceable items. It's a part that pool stores usually have in stock.
    Carl

Since it's the skimmer side tab that broke it will not be on a replacement weir.
    14'x31' kidney 21K gal IG plaster pool; SWCG (Saline Generating System's SGS Breeze); Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE DE filter; Whisperflow 1 HP pump; 8 hours hrs; kit purchased from Ben; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; PF:5.7

I used J-B Weld to repair a plastic part on my Polaris, and it's been in use for several weeks now. Try to figure out a way to hold it in place while it sets though, it takes a long time before it stops running. You can safely let it sit on the mixing pad for at least 20 minutes before applying, but even then it reacts to gravity. Also - it's dark grey so you'll want to be tidy with it.

EDIT - If it's white plastic it -may- be PVC which would be a lot easier to work with. Then you could use PVC cement from a hardware store and a small PVC angle from a plastics supplier.
    Last edited by aquarium; 08-09-2007 at 11:22 AM.
    Tom Wood
    15K IG Plaster, Sand Filter, Polaris 180

Great feedback! It is white, and Pentair does make the skimmer in both ABS and PVC. How can I determine which material it is?

Look up plastics in the yellow pages and if you still have the tab, take it to them. If not, ask them how to determine and if there is a glue that works on both.
    Tom Wood
    15K IG Plaster, Sand Filter, Polaris 180

I just had this same problem only my tab was only cracked and not completely torn off. I was able to overlap the broken tab with some fiberglass mesh and brush the resin over it until it dried up. Once it dried it is holding real nice. If I were to do it again I would duct tape the mesh in place and then brush the resin over it - or grow a couple extra arms to hold everything in place. Then once dried cut the mesh along where the tape was.

+ Reply to Thread