+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Running pump at night?

Default Running pump at night?

I have an inground with a hayward pump and sand filter and I use bleach. I currently run my pump during the day when the sun is bearing down on it. I'm wondering if I need to run the pump during the day or if I can just run it at night with no ill effects? Or is running it during the day the best for the water so that algae doesn't form? I may be able to get a discounted rate on electricity during the evening hours so that's why I want to see if I can switch to running it at night if it doesn't cause any harm to the water.

Also, I know this question has been asked a million times, but I couldn't find it when I did a search. How long should I be running the pump every day? Electricity rates keep rising so I don't want to run it more than I have to.

- Tom

Default Re: Running pump at night?

We get reduced rates between 21:00 and 09:00 and all weekend, from 21:00 Friday to 09:00 Monday. I run my pump for 8 hrs at night. I also turn it on for an hour after the dogs have been swimming to collect the hair off the surface. On weekends I do the vacuuming and backwashing.

My pump is a 2-speed and runs on low at night. I only use the high setting when I do maintenance.

How long to run it? Honest answer? I don't know It depends on so many factors. I once tried to figure out how long it takes for one complete turn-over of water in my pool and it so boggled my mind that I gave up.

I'm very precise in my response to water test results, i.e., adding the appropriate chemicals in proper amounts. As to how long to run the pump I go by how the water and the pool bottom looks. The 8 hours are enough for my system to skim everything off the surface and circulate/filter the water sufficiently to keep algae from growing and dirt from collecting.

I think it's one of those YMMV things.

Anna
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

I'm on the same type plan as mentioned above and have a salt system as well. I run 9PM - 12:30PM and the again from 5AM - 9AM. with good results. If I did not have the salt system and need the time to generate chlorine I would run a couple hours less since I'm currently turning over the pool a lot more than necessary.
    14'x31' kidney 21K gal IG plaster pool; SWCG (Saline Generating System's SGS Breeze); Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE DE filter; Whisperflow 1 HP pump; 8 hours hrs; kit purchased from Ben; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; PF:5.7

The only negative that I have found is that if the air temperature drops into the 60's at night, my pool tends to cool off if the pump runs at night. I generally run my pump during the day to help circulate the water that is bing warmed by the sun and solar cover.

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

You can run it during the evening/overnight hours if you want...I often do that when my pool water gets too warm in order to cool it off. The only real disadvantage that I can think of is that the temperature of your water may not be evenly distributed throughout your pool--you're going to have warmer layers on top and possibly warm "pockets" of water.

As far as total run time is concerned, you want to make sure that you're turning over your water at least once. In my pool that means at least 6 hours a day.

Janet

+ Reply to Thread