+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leaking Hayward Super Pump

Default Leaking Hayward Super Pump

It figures, I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow for a week, and my pump starts leaking. I have a couple of questions. First, I have a 1 HP Hayward Super pump that is 5 years old. It just started leaking, not much, but enough to leave the cement wet underneith it.

1. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong it?

2. What's the chance that this pump could continue to run 24/7 for 10 more days without either dying or springing a serious leak?(no one will be here to check on it)

3. Where could I find parts/instructions if it is repairable, or would it just be better to replace it.

Thanks,

Mark

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Default Re: Leaking Hayward Super Pump

Mark, my first guess is that it's the shaft seal assembly that's gone bad. As long as you have sufficient water in the pool to offset what will be lost to the leak, I don't think you'll have a problem waiting to fix it. Running it 24/7 will probably keep it from worsening.

Replacing a seal assembly is fairly easy - (part # SP 1600 Z 2) -- pull the 4 bolts on the back of the housing (9/ 16" wrench) to remove the motor end of the pump. A 1/4" nutdriver will allow you to remove the back of the motor which will enable you to use a 7/16" open end wrench to 'lock' the shaft so you can unscrew the impeller. The shaft seal has 2 parts: 1 that goes onto the impeller and the other which fits into the 'back mount' of the housing ---***** take note as to the orientation of the old seal when going to replace it, or you'll be doing it again within a week!

Have a great vacation if you have any questions when you get back and go to fix it, just ask here and I'll help as best I can
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Thanks for the info. I think I'll order the seal assembly and gaskets now so they will be here when I get home.
    Thanks again.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Where is it leaking specifically? If it's only a few dribbles as you suggest then I wouldn't worry about it until you come back from vacation and evaluate the situation further.
    Al

I stopped at the local pool company yesterday afternoon, and they had the seal assembly and gaskets in stock. Only took a half hour, and it's running good as new, and not leaking. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction.

Mark

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Thumbs up Re: Leaking Hayward Super Pump

Yeah, every now and then I can help someone Glad that you were able to take care of it before heading on vacation, it sucks to have something going on back home when you're supposed to be relaxing!

Enjoy your vacation and when you get back home, enjoy the pool for the rest of the season!!
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

+ Reply to Thread