+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can't seem to get rid of Sediment

Default Can't seem to get rid of Sediment

I have a 24' roung AG. All summer I have had a problem with fine sediment. Looks brown/green. I thought it was the cartridge on my 6 year old Sta Rite system 3 filter. I switched over to a Hayward EC40 DE. Still same problem. I just backwashed and recharged the DE and then vacuumed . It seems a little better but still there was sediment within a couple of hours.

Could it be:

My vacuum head? Is there a head style that is better than others? I have the standard style kidney shaped HTH head?

My filter? Is it ppossible that I need more DE in the unit? (I followed the instructions, 6 coffee cans)

Just a lot of dead algae? That is what the sediment looks like, it is brownish when settled but when disturbed it greates a green cloud.

Currently pool is:

TC 1.0
    FC 1.0
    CC 0
    pH 7.6
    Alk 110
    CYA 30

Water is crystal clear, has been all summer. I use about 4 to 5 quarts of bleach a week and have, on occasion, (two times in 6 weeks?) dumped in a 2 gallon dose to shock. Pool does not get much use I swim almost daily but not for very long, kids use it a couple of times a week. I run the filter about 10 hours or more, but have also tried running it for extended periods of up to 72 hours

Thanks

Default Re: Can't seem to get rid of Sediment

My guess is you are keeping your chlorine too low and algae is hanging around. 1ppm this morning would be 0ppm by evening in most pools with 30ppm CYA, and that lets algae grow. Ben's chart shows 3ppm minimum chlorine for 30ppm CYA, and I'd want mine at 5ppm or so in the morning.

mohawk is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst mohawk 0

That's what I had when I got back from out of town. My spouse was reading the strips wrong(he doesn't know how to do any other test) and the chlorine was between 0 and 1. I dosed the pool (30' rnd 52'' high) to 15ppm constant for three days and all the algae is gone. My cya is at 40. Check to see what shock is for your pool running cya at 30ppm. Denise

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

Yup - most likely algae - could even be mustard algae that requires 25ppm to kill - looks like silt/clay - very fine.

Well that sounds like a consensu. I will raise the chlorine and see what transpires. Thanks

+ Reply to Thread