+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Skimmer Socks vs Knee Highs

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Default Skimmer Socks vs Knee Highs

I have been using skimmer socks for quite a while now and love them. I usually have to clean them weekly. I decided to try Knee Highs to see if they would work as well. I put a knee high on the skimmer basket about two weeks ago and it has collectedm practically NOTHING. I put a sock back on this morning and I can already see stuff in it this evening.
    IMHO, knee highs do not work compared to skimmer socks!
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Default Re: Skimmer Socks vs Knee Highs

I agree with you, Evan. The nylon thread and weave used with knee highs is much different from that of skimmer socks. It works better if you use two knee highs but now it becomes a matter of cost effectiveness.

I presently have few bugs in the water; what my skimmer socks are now catching are algae debris, dog hair (that which is suspended in the water because the floating hair is being picked up very efficiently by the PoolSkim), and those dissolved solids which aren't large enough to see in the water.

I exchange the skimmer sock daily and each day there's yellowish gunk in it.

Anna
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

Sumo1 is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher Sumo1 0

I guess there just must be a lot of stuff in the air around here, because I have to clean or change skimmer socks at least every day. If I waited a week, I'm afraid there would be no water flowing through the skimmer....
    Hal
    20x40 IG gunite free form, approx. 27K gal, 60sq DE filter, Jandy Stealth 2hp 2speed pump, Polaris 380, SWCG

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Skimmer socks at the MOST expensive pool store in my area are about $8 for 4. And that lasts me all summer.

There are things to be frugal about, but I don't think a set of skimmer socks is one of them.
    Carl

cinbia12 Guest

Never thought about using skimmer socks, but after reading the posts last night decided to give it a try We have been battling what looks like dirt for the past week, putting the sock on the skimmer it is definitely algae. We changed the sock (rinsed them out) atleast 4 times this afternoon and boy was there a lot of green stuff in there each time. So we will add more polyquat and keep the chlorine high.

Sumo1 is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher Sumo1 0

I've never used it, but from what I've read here, polyquat is only a preventative and will not aid in killing the algae. I had an algae bloom last week after a lot of dirt and organic stuff washed into the pool during a torrential rain. Just use bleach to boost your CL level to about 25-30ppm and keep it that way for 2 or 3 days while running the filter 24/7 until all the algae is dead and gone. Then resume using polyquat if you want to, or just rely on bleach to keep it away. That's all I ever have needed except for the unusual occurance I had last week. Just keep swimming,swimming,swimming.....
    Hal
    20x40 IG gunite free form, approx. 27K gal, 60sq DE filter, Jandy Stealth 2hp 2speed pump, Polaris 380, SWCG

+ Reply to Thread