+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Polaris 280 wants to ride only on front wheels

Default Polaris 280 wants to ride only on front wheels

A couple weeks ago I noticed that my Polaris 280 wants to ride on just the front two wheels. Well, on one side there is only one wheel, but I think you get the idea --- the rear most wheel rides up, not touching the floor. Of course this about kills its cleaning ability.

Any ideas?

I rebuilt it last summer - replacing all 3 wheels and gears. So most (jot all) of the internals are new (newish).

I spun the thing over and over to make sure there was not a bubble in the back causing it. You can push it flat by hand - but shortly after it slowly rises back up. It rises up even when the pump is off, so I think it is something with the polaris and not pump or water pressure? The rear nozzle is pointed almost straight up - thinking it would help push it down. But I have not felt the nozzle to see how much pressure is really coming out -- is this it perhaps?

Since I rebuilt it last year, I have no problems tearing it apart again and "eyeballing" it to see what is up -- but thought I would ask if anyone had any suggestions since I was not sure what I would be looking for this time. I searched previous posts - but did not see anyone listing this particular problem.

Thanks in advance,
    Noel

Default Re: Polaris 280 wants to ride only on front wheels

Hi Noel,

I have a 180 so it's a little different. Have you checked the white float to see if it's moved too far out from the unit? That would give it more lift. I usually have the opposite problem because those floats tend to crack along the inside seam, fill up with water, and then cause the unit to fall over on its side.
    Tom Wood
    15K IG Plaster, Sand Filter, Polaris 180

I did not even think about the float position. I made sure it was not messed up, etc - but did not even think about it being too far back. I will check that tonight. Thanks!

Checked the float -- it is OK. Great idea though, thanks. But unfortunately it is not the problem.

Hmmm, one other thing to check is the back-up valve. If it's stuck partly open it could be pulling back on the cleaner unit.
    Tom Wood
    15K IG Plaster, Sand Filter, Polaris 180

+ Reply to Thread