+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HTH Tablets with NO CYA

Default HTH Tablets with NO CYA

I know in the past no such thing existed.

But I noticed HTH now sells duration tablets that say right in big letters.

"Will not over condition" and "No CYA".

Is this the same as using powered "Super Socket" in tabket form?

HTH stills sells the Pace brand tablets which do contain CYA.

Are there other brands now with no CYA?

My pool was definitely headed for over conditioning and I've been using liquid and powered this year so far to allow CYA to come down a bit.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IG 21k Vinyl Liner in MA, PS233 Kit, 2 Speed 1HP Pump, Sta-Rite Cartridge, Tablets

Default Re: HTH Tablets with NO CYA

The Duration tablets are cal-hypo. If you can deal with the calcium addition to the ppol, they are fine. They cannot be used in the same chlorine feeder used for trichlor or dichlor due to explosion risk and the physical nature of the tablets.
    Last edited by JohnT; 07-19-2007 at 11:30 AM.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

The new version of the DURATION tabs are junk. They are 48% cal-hypo and they don't last days without dissolving, they barely last hours. The older ones were wrapped in a plastic capsule that worked far better. HTH's sister company, PoolLife (another Arch Chem company) still sells them as PoolLife Active Cleaning Caplets. But their website doesn't say the active percent of Chlorine...typical of Arch.
    Carl

ctwine is offline ** No working email address ** ctwine 0

Sustain makes a Cal-Hypo puck that lasts five to seven days for me, I run my system 12 hours per day in 6 hour increments. I use them when I am away on business and can't add bleach. They make other items as well but I only use these pucks. www.askjoepool.com for a dealer, just type in your zip code.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by ctwine View Post
    Sustain makes a Cal-Hypo puck that lasts five to seven days for me, I run my system 12 hours per day in 6 hour increments. I use them when I am away on business and can't add bleach. They make other items as well but I only use these pucks. www.askjoepool.com for a dealer, just type in your zip code.
    When I checked our your link Sustain did NOT list the ingredients in their chlorinators, just lots of useless adjectives. They didn't say "Cal-Hypo" or "Tri-chlor".

As soon as chemical companies get vague about what they are putting in their chemicals, they ain't going in MY water! My kids get that water in their mouths, they swallow some and NOTHING gets added by me that I don't know EXACTLY what's in it. Ever. EVER!
    Carl

ctwine is offline ** No working email address ** ctwine 0

Just trying to help someone out. The bucket says "68% Calcium Hypochlorite, 32% Inert Ingredients." Also states "Minimum 65% Available Chlorine." and "colored blue for safety." As I said, I don't use any of their other products, just these tabs when I'm not able to add bleach.

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

They are cal hypo tabs that are used as part of a system. Here is the MSDS for the tablets
    http://buyat.ppg.com/wercsinter/Werc...A51%3A35%27%7D

AS best as I can tell the 'chlorine extener' that they use in this sytem is NOT CYA. the MSDS lists it as a proprietary mixture in a brine soluton and their FAQ says that it combines with the chlorine to hold it in reserve and will test as combined chlorine on testing and therefore recommend testing with DPD for the actual FC. Interestng!

EDIT: They also recommend a CYA level of 80 ppm along with this system so I don't know what their 'chlorine extender' does! It seems to be something that forms CC in the water but is able to release the FC when the levels drop.
    Last edited by waterbear; 07-20-2007 at 01:51 PM.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

Quote Originally Posted by ctwine View Post
    Just trying to help someone out. The bucket says "68% Calcium Hypochlorite, 32% Inert Ingredients." Also states "Minimum 65% Available Chlorine." and "colored blue for safety." As I said, I don't use any of their other products, just these tabs when I'm not able to add bleach.

Sorry. Didn't mean to sound like I was jumping on you...but on the company. Companies with "secret" ingredients in their pool products leave me cold and save me money--I don't buy or use their products. No point.
    Carl

I've seen the mention tha the Super SockIt isn't too bad on this site a while back if I don't wish to use liquid chlorine.

I've used Super SockIt for years (as a periodic shocker or problem resolver) without much trouble in a liner pool.

Super Socket is listed as Calcium Hypochlorite 53% Chlorine. Is this stuff just as bad?

What are the disadvantages in using Calcium Hypochlorite in powder or Tablet form.

I hate handling liquid chlorine. It cost me a new pair of jeans or polo shirt at least once a month.
    Last edited by mswlogo; 07-22-2007 at 09:20 PM.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    IG 21k Vinyl Liner in MA, PS233 Kit, 2 Speed 1HP Pump, Sta-Rite Cartridge, Tablets

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

The only real downside to using calcium hypochlorite is that your calcium level will eventually get high, and when you combine that with high pH and TA it causes cloudiness in the pool (or milk, depending on how high the Ca gets.

hth used to make a cal-hypo capsule enclosed in plastic but open at both ends, which worked really well, but the new cal-hypo pucks are pretty much garbage--they turn to mush within a couple of days, so I would stick with the powdered form or try to find the capsules if you're going to use it on a regular basis.

Janet

+ Reply to Thread