+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What to check ?

Default What to check ?

I have Bens PS233 test kit and now appear to have my pool on the right track using bleach. Now I am looking for a recomended routine going forward. I have been told to keep my FC above 5 because my CYA is 60 so would I be OK checking just my FC every other day in the evening and then using the bleach calculator to figure out how much bleach to add and then test for everything once a month ?

Default Re: What to check ?

I usually checked Cl every three days, but checking more frequently until you get the hang of your pool is a good idea. Usually CYA, Ca and Alk don't move much, unless you've been getting torrential rains. Every month is fine, I usually check every 2 or so. It just kinda depends on how much rain i've been pumping out. If I pump out very little, I generally don't worry about those last three much.

Michael

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Like Michael said, checking for chlorine every 2 days, if not daily, isn't a bad idea until you "learn" your pool. I would check your pH more often than once a month, though, especially if your TA is in the lower ranges. It's not hard to fix a pH problem, but it can make swimming uncomfortable if it gets too far out of whack.

Janet

When you say check your "CL" frequently do you mean the "FC" ? What are the optium readings for the other stuff like ALK, Etc. (I have a liner pool)

Thanks

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Yes - check your FC. Good readings for the other things:
    Alk - 80-125
    PH 7.4-7.6
    Calcium - don't worry about it in a vinyl pool. (Unless it gets too high like over about 400 and then you may have a problem with cloudy water.)

Hope this helps.

Watermom

Quote Originally Posted by aylad
    I would check your pH more often than once a month, though, especially if your TA is in the lower ranges.
    Whoooooops! I left that out. I generally check pH when I check Cl. Now that I'm running a SWC, I check weekly, since I (now) very comfortable with the rate of increase.

Michael

+ Reply to Thread