+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Polaris 380 at end of my wits and need reolacement suggestion

Default Polaris 380 at end of my wits and need reolacement suggestion

First I hate my Polaris 380 I would like to reuse the pump and connection and finds a working less costly cleaner that actually cleans. Vinyl liner 40K gallon pool.

In 4 years I have repaced
    3 reversing units due to cracking because the water pressure and the unit somehow blow out the edge of the plastic near the outlet hole to reverse the unit
    3 bags since the velcro gets wasted and now the last one ripped.
    The unit no longer climbs the walls or has enough power to make it to the deep end corners probably due to the new crack in the reversing unit.

I have cleaned lubed, sealed everything anyone could imagine, to get this this to fully clean my pool and it always has a new problem. I had one good year and ever since it has been a disaster. last year I had to rebuild the pump and replace all the bearings in addition to the other issues.

OK so I have a working cleaning pump and an outlet. I dont want to spend big bucks on a unit that will just need constant repair, Honestly I spend less time with my pool chemistry that the cleaner. So I can start replacing Polaris parts again or change cleaners.

Anyone have any suggestions for a new in pool dedicated pump cleaner that will use the existing polaris outlet pipe threading and pump?

I need a new one very soon so any suggestions would be apreciated. If you want to diagnose my problem I think I have tried less pressure and many other fixes and nothing has worked so I want to move forward and change brands before I go broke.

George B

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Default Re: Polaris 380 at end of my wits and need reolacement suggestion

I'm sorry that you're having so many problems with the 380--mine lasted 5 seasons with the only replacements being a drive belt and one backup valve. It needed new wheels when I took it out of the water, but that's because it lives in my pool year-round and my chlorine levels have been quite high at times. I recently replaced it with a new unit instead of overhauling it, but got it for half price by sending the old one back. My new one is working fine.

I don't know of any other cleaner that uses the same pump, but will be interested in any other replies that you get.

Janet

I scrapped my 380 last year (after 8 years use) due to a break in the pressure line under the deck. In 8 years I replaced the belts once and a couple of the swivle connections on the hose - that is it. It still works great. I replaced it with a Blue Pearl - wow I am glad that line broke. You cannot even compare how much better the robot cleans than the polaris. It polishes the water and gets things out that the DE does not.

If you want my polaris you can have it cheap.

markphin is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst markphin 1 star

I must say, I am surprised at your bad lusck with Polaris. You must have lemon.
    I absolutely love mine. It's on it's sixth season and all I did (outside of scrubber and bag replacements) was replace the belts last year and some other stuf that came with the tune up kit while I had it apart.
    Yours may not be climbing because one of your hose clamps inside the unit broke and thus not generating enough power through the venturis.

I have ripped apart the 380 several times to find nothing wrong internally, with a split reverse head the full pressure is gone anyway. The bottom line is 4 months out of the year a NJ pool I should not have these problems starting in year two.

Does anyone use a pressure side cleaner, it's cheap, it works works, little problems. I remember several years ago everyone had Polaris problems. Maybe in 2002 the date of manufacturer things were lax in the factory. maybe I got the lemon and everyone else got lemonade.

Honestly I just want a suggestion for replacement to hook up to the booster pump, cheap simple works and actually cleans a pool.

Dont suggest a $700 unit not interested really in that kind of super no hose do all unit or spending that amount of money anyway

Janet booster pumps are all about the same as I found out last year when I spent $30 to rebuild mine rather than $150 to replace it. In fact it now runs quieter than the day it was installed even a year later. Who did you send your unit back to for a half price rebate?

Cheap pressure side pool cleaner suggestions folks, If your works great but I need a suggestion for a REPLACEMENT. I would rather have some ideas before I order something so lets throw out some replacement ideas.

George

I have ripped apart the 380 several times to find nothing wrong internally, with a split reverse head the full pressure is gone anyway. The bottom line is 4 months out of the year a NJ pool I should not have these problems starting in year two.

Does anyone use a pressure side cleaner, that's cheap, it works, little problems. I remember several years ago everyone had Polaris problems. Maybe in 2002 the date of manufacturer things were lax in the factory. maybe I got the lemon and everyone else got lemonade.

Honestly I just want a suggestion for replacement to hook up to the booster pump, cheap simple works and actually cleans a pool.

Dont suggest a $700 unit not interested really in that kind of super no hose do all unit or spending that amount of money anyway

Janet booster pumps are all about the same as I found out last year when I spent $30 to rebuild mine rather than $150 to replace it. In fact it now runs quieter than the day it was installed even a year later. Who did you send your unit back to for a half price rebate?

Cheap pressure side pool cleaner suggestions folks, If your works great but I need a suggestion for a REPLACEMENT. I would rather have some ideas before I order something so lets throw out some brand, sites, and pricing ideas.

George

+ Reply to Thread