+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Sources of Metal

Default Sources of Metal

I've a recurring stain problem in my fiberglass IG pool. Tried all of the recommended treatments - work fine but within a week the stain is returning even with above recommended doses of sequesterant. I'm currently using Pro Team's Metal Magic as it will remove the stain without going thru the ascorbic acid procedure (which I've done 3 times).

Water supply is city water from sourced from the Great Lakes so the metal isn't coming entering with fill.

I'm wondering, the heater is 10 yo. - Is it possible that the heat exchanger is corroding and could be the source of the metals? Putting metal into the water at a faster rate than I can remove it or keep it suspended?

Default Re: Sources of Metal

Quote Originally Posted by MrSparkle View Post

I'm wondering, the heater is 10 yo. - Is it possible that the heat exchanger is corroding and could be the source of the metals? Putting metal into the water at a faster rate than I can remove it or keep it suspended?
    Heat exchangers are a pretty common source of metal in the pool. Other possibilities are algaecides, mineral systems like the Nature2 or some other "alternative" sanitizers that contain copper.

I was having the same staining problem with my fiberglas pool this year. I found that keeping my pH between 7.2 and 7.5 and my chlorine at about 3ppm kept the stain away. If my pH creeps up the stain returns- Can't explain why.

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

grangerhj is right, you must keep your ph on the low side in a fiberglass pool. Fiberglass tends to stain very easily. Metals can get in your water in so many ways. Even calcium is a metal. If you have been using Proteams metal magic, you probably have a lot of sequestereing agent in the water, so taking your ph down should eliminate the stains. Also keep your alkalinity about 80, and your calcium low - about 150. Keep your chlorine on the low side of your "best guess chart" and use bleach instead of pucks or calhypo.
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

Quote Originally Posted by MrSparkle View Post
    I've a recurring stain problem in my fiberglass IG pool. Tried all of the recommended treatments - work fine but within a week the stain is returning even with above recommended doses of sequesterant. I'm currently using Pro Team's Metal Magic as it will remove the stain without going thru the ascorbic acid procedure (which I've done 3 times).

Water supply is city water from sourced from the Great Lakes so the metal isn't coming entering with fill.

I learned our heater was the source of our severe staining. At one point, our fiberglass steps were dark gold! Try using Natural Chemistry's Metal Free. One weekly dose of 10 ounces keeps the stain from occuring (25,000 gallon pool) Works perfect for us.
    Why BBB? Because money can't buy happiness, but saving it sure can!

+ Reply to Thread