+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vinyl Liner Repair Options

Default Vinyl Liner Repair Options

What options are available/recommended for repairing a small tear in the vinyl liner of an aboveground pool?

I have a tear approx 2" long in the shape of a semicircle. The shape resembles the shape of the end of our vacuum pole w/o the vacuum attached...our 4yr old decided to help "clean" the pool and managed to make the hole before I could stop him. It just happened yesterday and the water level in the pool dropped about 3" overnight.

What is the best repair method? Is there any way to make a repair underwater? How about making a "temporary" repair underwater and then draining the pool this fall for a permanent repair?

Pool is approx 10,000 gal, above ground, vinyl liner (unknown age, but >4 yrs old). I believe there is sand under the liner but I'm not totally sure. The water is well balanced and sparkling clear right now so I would like to avoid draining until fall if possible.

Thanks!
    Last edited by NormZ; 07-05-2007 at 03:04 PM.

Default Re: Vinyl Liner Repair Options

Norm, I had this same issue in my vinyl lined IG pool. It's an easy fix

Get a scrap piece of liner. Cut it in a circle that is larger around than the cut is wide. Get some barge glue, or a glue from a pool store that is made for this. Slather the glue on the backside of the patch, a good amount. Fold the patch over on itself, glue side in. Take a deep breath, dive down, unfold the patch and quickly place it over the cut. Smooth it down tight from the inside working your way out. When it's done put a heavy weight on it (I used a brick on a can) to keep it in place while it sets up.

Works like a charm

Good Luck.

Smile Re: Vinyl Liner Repair Options

Cool, thanks!

I went by the pool store and found an "underwater vinyl repair kit". It contains 2oz of glue that is supposed to work underwater as you described, but the patch they provided is a very thin piece of transparent plastic sheeting. I think I'll go back to the store and see if I can find a piece of actual liner instead.

Thanks for the encouragement in that it can be sucessfully repaired! I was pretty bummed last night thinking that I would have to drain the pool at a minimum or maybe even replace the entire liner.

Normz, my patch held for years, and was still good to go when I finally replaced the liner.

It's a pretty straight forward, easy fix. No need to drain the pool, even at the end of this season. Just make sure you have a good solid weight holding the patch down tight and give it all the time it needs per the instructions on the glue.

I have the exact same problem, my pool store was out of the the kits w/the glue and only had self adhesive patches, I put one on and it was still leaking in the next day. I went to a different store and they had a kit w/the glue and patch material, it's clear but thicker then the self adhesive patch. I put the patch in as stated in the directions but didn't put a weight on the patch, and found the pool still leaking. Can I just pull off the old patch and put the new one on or do I need to clean the spot somehow, if so, with what. I'll try this tonight since I'm leaving on vacation for a week in the morning.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Bruce A Palarchio

+ Reply to Thread