+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how should I "cut in" skimmer and return holes in the liner?

zephans is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst zephans 0

Default how should I "cut in" skimmer and return holes in the liner?

I have pre-cut holes in stainless panel (AG 12x24x54"). Instructions for pool and liner say to cut liner for these holes once partially filled, but never specify if I should cut right to edges or cut so some liner can overlap.

Do I cut an "X" then flap the flaps through the skimmer hole?
    If "X" cut then how do I do the return hole (which is circular)?
    OR do I cut along the edges of the hole (no extra liner material)?

I've got the box knife ready.

Ugh... I'm probably just stressing over the "little" things, but I'd hate to have to replace the liner because I didn't cut it properly .
    Thanks! -ZephanS
    AG BF 13.5'x23.5'x54" (wups) Diamond Star (Wil-bar) purchased 5/30/2007 from sunenterprises.com. 2hp pump + 150lb sand filter (both WaterWay combo) using 75lbs zeobrite + SWG.
    Dug and built ourselves in ~30hrs by ~7/4 thanks to PF (esp. hrdennis,nwmnmom,matt4x4,Waste,CarlD, &others). ~$5,500 total cost.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Smile Re: how should I "cut in" skimmer and return holes in the liner?

Happy July 4!

The skimmer is mounted to the wall and the return fitting installed, right? If not, get them on quickly!, they have to be in place to cut the liner. Before cutting the liner, the faceplates need to be screwed on. As long as the liner is tight to the wall, there is enough water in the pool to do so, if the liner isn't tight to the wall and you install the face plates you could end up with a wrinkle. Once the plates are on take a new razor knife and cut along the inside of the plates to remove all the liner - it's important to get a good cut on the return or you'll have trouble getting the eyeball or a plug in or out of the fitting.

HTH - enjoy the new pool!!
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

Default Re: how should I "cut in" skimmer and return holes in the liner?

Waste - that sounds like good advice, but is not how my AG pool's instructions were.
    Here's what my AG pool instructions said - cut the skimmer hole even with the wall hole EXCEPT along the bottom where you are to give it an extra 1/4 more liner up into the opening (looking at it from the outside, you would see 1/4 inch of liner above the bottom edge of the skimmer). poke through with your knife at each screw hole, hold the skimmer on the outside, fasten your 4 corner bolts by finger, insert the remaining screws, work your way from bottom center and top center outwards alternately doing the corners last.

For the return, cut the hole almost identical leaving a 1/16 to 1/8 half moon sliver visible around the bottom of the return hole and install your return.
    On an AG pool, you can't install the return before cutting the hole since it threads THROUGH the wall, and doesn't fasten with screws around the perimeter.

I believe they want you to leave a little extra to accomodate shrinking and stretching - most liners on AG pools will settle some due to the sand compressing over time. I've seen it where the liner pulled out at the bottom of skimmers because no room was left for stretching.

Hey guys, glad to see you are still alive and well. Having a good 4th I hope.

For the skimmer I poke two holes in the liner. Top right and left screw holes. I insert the top two screws through the faceplate, gasket, liner and wall. With my drill in one hand and the skimmer in the other I get these screws started. I then go to the bottom corners and start those. When all of the screws are in place I cut the liner.

As for the return, cut the hole first. Do this from the outside of the pool. Cut the liner the same size as the wall opening. With the blade on the outside of the pool, not much chance of messing up.

Later, Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

zephans is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst zephans 0

Thanks for the help Dennis, Matt, and Waste. I survived mounting the skimmer and return. Turns out directions (which I swear I read twice) did mention how and when to cut the liner. Your advice did help tweak a couple steps to be better.

FYI: I did have to mount the skimmer before the liner was installed. That meant I had to carefully pull back the liner to screw in the 4 supplied wide mouth mount screws. What sucked is I then found that those screws are supposed to go into holes that don't exist on my stainless skimmer plate. So I pulled back the skimmer and drilled a couple holes for these special screws. I put a washcloth and a couple very cottony puppy pads below my drilling location to catch the metal shavings so they wouldn't get caught between the wall and the liner. In hindsight I wish I'd just done hrDennis' method and skipped these holding screws. Once I saw how sturdy the 18 main faceplate screws secured both front and back I really think the other 4 were optional (and much less risky to omit than drilling 2 holes in stainless steel with liner already installed). I cut with 1/4 left on the bottom in case there is stretch. I can always trim it further later if needed. I can't put it back once cut .

FYI: Only difference with return cutout instructions to Dennis' suggestion is the directions said to leave 3/4 inch between hole edge and cutout. Pushing the return nozzle through made this extra into a mini-gasket. I think both ways would work fine. (I already did instructions methods).
    Thanks! -ZephanS
    AG BF 13.5'x23.5'x54" (wups) Diamond Star (Wil-bar) purchased 5/30/2007 from sunenterprises.com. 2hp pump + 150lb sand filter (both WaterWay combo) using 75lbs zeobrite + SWG.
    Dug and built ourselves in ~30hrs by ~7/4 thanks to PF (esp. hrdennis,nwmnmom,matt4x4,Waste,CarlD, &others). ~$5,500 total cost.

+ Reply to Thread