+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jets not working

Default Jets not working

My jets stopped working yesterday. I have tried backwashing but hardly any water comes out, or it sputters out. When I turn the filter back on the jets will sometimes work well for a short time (but it sounds like there is air in the line) and then they will stop again.

It seems there is on again, off again pressure and I may have a leak in the line? I have checked all around the pump assembly and there doesn't seem to be a leak there.

On the other hand, my water is perfect with the BBB method!

I have an ingound, and a Hayward Self Priming Super Pump with a Tagelus Sand Filter. The pool is 27 years old, the pump is two years old (replaced when I bought the house). I have never changed or cleaned the sand.

Thanks for any suggestions,
    Janis

Default Re: Jets not working

My bet is a suction side leak or clog. Filter basket lid on tight? Clogged pump basket or skimmer basket?

You are correct. I checked all my plugs and blew out the line in case of debris. Then I noticed a small leak around the large round seal at the top of the filter. I didn't see at first because when I backwash it drains around the side of the filter. I have never gone into the filter. Do I just take the top off and replace the seal? Do I have to buy the seal at a pool store? Do I have to drain the filter first? Sorry for all the questions!! I don't know anything about this but can follow directions well!!

Janis

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Smile Re: Jets not working

It could well be worth your time to pop open Mr Tagalus and see what the sand is like.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

I was thinking about doing that in the morning.....So is it as easy as that, just pop open??? I saw a bit of sand in the area where I think the leak is so I know it is getting out some way.

Waste, I believe you helped me last summer with balancing my water and it has been perfect ever since......Thanks

Janis

Default Re: Jets not working - update

I took the top off the sand filter this morning and the sand looks good. It is fluffy with a bit of small debris in it, and it doesn't smell bad (my biggest fear!)

Is there anything special I have to do when I reseal the top back on?

I couldn't see any sign of a leak, or weakened spot, so I am going to try to seal it back up and see what happens.

When I turn the filter on, both returns bubble (with air) and then stop. When I backwash it dribbles out but the water looks clean, as did the water in the tank.

Any other ideas on what to check? My pump motor is only a year old and is working fine.

Yesterday it was cloudy so my water looked OK but this morning it is starting to look green. Oh, the pain......hauling all those bottles of bleach.....but much less pain to the wallet.

Janis

KurtV is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver KurtV 0

Default Re: Jets not working - update

Quote Originally Posted by janmo View Post
    Is there anything special I have to do when I reseal the top back on?
    Is the o-ring in good shape? If so, just lubricate it with a waterproof grease (silicone or tefplon bases, not petroleum) and put it back together.

Janis
    Is there air in the pump strainer? If so, check and lubricate the o-ring on the strainer lid as well.

I greased and resealed the filter and the pump strainer and still nothing. I guess I am going to have to call someone because I can't see any obvious leaks, and I need to get this back up running asap.

Janis

KurtV is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver KurtV 0

Is there any air in the pump strainer?

Well, I played some more with it, and now it is working perfectly.....has been for about four hours, and my water is blue again. I think I did have some air in the pump strainer and that was the problem at the end. So I am back in business! Thanks for all the help!
    Janis

+ Reply to Thread