+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Skimmer Socks - Thoughts???

Default Skimmer Socks - Thoughts???

I just installed a skimmer sock on both skimmers.
    They're designed to catch the "finer" debris and keep it from going to the pump/filter.
    Anyone have any experience with these they'd like to share?
    40'x28' I/G L-shaped, vinyl liner pool, with an estimated 40,000 gallons of water.
    Been using BBB for over a year! Excellent results!

ivyleager is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher ivyleager 0

Default Re: Skimmer Socks - Thoughts???

They work great. You'll be surprised how awful the skimmer socks look when you pull them out to clean. YUCK.

CaryB

They're great!

On my system, when the pump isn't running, the bottom of the sock floats up and some of the debris it had caught, dislodges. I now put a small rock inside the sock so it stays down in the skimmer basket when the pump is off.
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I've been using them for 3 years. They work great and reduce the number of times you backwash. I replace the sock about once a month--cheap enough!
    Carl

NWMNMom is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver NWMNMom 0

We use them too and love the "polishing" it does by getting the finer crap out of the water. FYI - you need to check them often to be sure they don't clog up - not much gets through those buggers and they can quickly clog up enough to change pump pressure if there is pollen or other junk floating around.
    Beats driving to the lake!
    18'x33'x52" AG oval, hard plumbed system, 22" Pentair Meteor Filter 1.5hp pump, Goldline SWCG System, 2/4x20 SolarBear Panels, Biltmore Steps - 16x14' composite deck, Pool Rover Jr

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    I've been using them for 3 years. They work great and reduce the number of times you backwash. I replace the sock about once a month--cheap enough!

Once a MONTH? I change mine daily. Of course, I get a lot of dog hair in the pool but even without the dogs, like a few days ago, I had something like a gazillion flying ants in there. Must have been a hatch. And during pollen season it got disgustingly full of yellow pasty gunk.

Changing the sock is part of my daily routine. I rinse it off with the hose, hang it over a fence post, and put another one in the basket. Once amonth? Man, you have CLEAN water!
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

Excellent ideas!
    Thanks!!
    40'x28' I/G L-shaped, vinyl liner pool, with an estimated 40,000 gallons of water.
    Been using BBB for over a year! Excellent results!

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaK View Post
    Once a MONTH? I change mine daily. Of course, I get a lot of dog hair in the pool but even without the dogs, like a few days ago, I had something like a gazillion flying ants in there. Must have been a hatch. And during pollen season it got disgustingly full of yellow pasty gunk.

Changing the sock is part of my daily routine. I rinse it off with the hose, hang it over a fence post, and put another one in the basket. Once amonth? Man, you have CLEAN water!
    I didn't say I CLEAN it once a month--I said I REPLACE it once a month. I CLEAN it every single day, and in late May early June twice a day (heavy pollen). After a month it gets pretty worn out and I throw it away. Why do you bother to dry it on the fence post?
    Carl

salinda is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher salinda 0

It definitely cleans, but the pool was getting too high maintenance and as a busy mom I can't check this daily. I have a micron cartridge filter and my water was pretty clean without this, so I removed mine.
    Salinda
    owner of ~35,000 gallon plaster IG pool/spa combo. Ikeric Dyna-Miser VS150 filter pump, 2 hp whisperflo spa jet pump, The Pool Cleaner 2x suction cleaner, Clean & Clear Plus 520 cartridge filter, Zodiac Clearwater LM2-40 SWG, Sta-rite 400k heater, solar heat pads and coils.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnaK View Post
    Of course, I get a lot of dog hair in the pool but even without the dogs, like a few days ago, I had something like a gazillion flying ants in there. Must have been a hatch. And during pollen season it got disgustingly full of yellow pasty gunk.
    And if it's not dog hair or flying ants, it's spiders, June bugs, or worse! It also helps to keep my pump strainer basket cleaner. Wouldn't have a pool without skimmer sox.
    Sandy
    15,600 gallon, screened 15x30 IG plaster sport pool with 6x8 tanning area, Aquarite SWCG, Hayward cartridge filter, Polaris 280 cleaner

+ Reply to Thread