+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 10 inches of RAIN in pool, now what??

Default 10 inches of RAIN in pool, now what??

Its blue, but barely, the water was at the top and running out of the skimmer basket, we got six inches in 2 hours!! Then 24 hours later got another 4 inches!! I have drained the water off, but the ground around the skimmer is squishy and VERY soft, is there anything I need to do or not do now? I tried to vaccum tonight and kept sinking so I gave up, I will test the water tommorow and see where we are.... It's too wet out there to even walk to the pool so no swimming, which is a bummer for the fourth, second year in row I WANTED to have a pool party and second year in a row I haven't been able to!!!
    18' round AG Money Pit( till I found this place!)

Default Re: 10 inches of RAIN in pool, now what??

send rain, we are in a drought.
    14'x31' kidney 21K gal IG plaster pool; SWCG (Saline Generating System's SGS Breeze); Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE DE filter; Whisperflow 1 HP pump; 8 hours hrs; kit purchased from Ben; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; PF:5.7

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

You need to change your location in your profile from Hot Dry to Soaking Wet. If the rain hasn't bothered your pool structurally then don't worry. Just wait it out and deal with it when the rain stops. If there is any way to drain it down to normal level then do it. Then keep an eye on the pH as acidic water is not good for vinyl liners. Rain can be very acidic but it can vary greatly depending on your location. Mine is about neutral as there are no chemical plants, heavy industry or traffic anywhere close. Would be interesting to test the rain at least to see if it's on the chart. Also, send some rain up here but not all at once. Sorry about your 4th party...must be bumming. I'm hoping for sun and heat. Two nights ago the temp dropped to 44...on 29 June. Bah.
    Al

tagprod is offline ** No working email address ** tagprod 0

I don't know that I'd bother doing anything. I'm outside Houston and it's supposed to keep raining through the 4th.

NWMNMom is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver NWMNMom 0

Watch your pool chem levels. We had over 13" in a month and had to constantly monitor the levels due to all the dilution and the rain hitting the surface brought the PH way up (aeration) - We pumped out like crazy almost every couple days.
    Beats driving to the lake!
    18'x33'x52" AG oval, hard plumbed system, 22" Pentair Meteor Filter 1.5hp pump, Goldline SWCG System, 2/4x20 SolarBear Panels, Biltmore Steps - 16x14' composite deck, Pool Rover Jr

I just tested the water very quickly, my CYA is low because I put two gallons of bleach in last night and it doesn't show ANY at all, but my water is blue(yeah!) and my PH is a very light 7.2, so I am going to raise that up and add some CYA and more bleach, the ground seems to be drying a little, I am going to try to mow later today( wish me luck on that, it hasn't been mowed in two weeks and it is tall and thick!!) Anyway, do you have any other suggestions?? OH yeah, my TA is 80 should I raise it up a little?
    18' round AG Money Pit( till I found this place!)

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

Are you sure your cya is low? You can be using up the bleach because you are starting on algae from all the rain. You should not lose any chlorine even with low cya if there is no sun So I would take the chlorine up to shock - you will need to know your cya level to get it to proper levels as per the chart

Use the info in this chart to help you figure out what levels of chlorine you need to maintain in your pool based on the amount of CYA (cyanuric acid, also called stabilizer) that you have in your pool. (FC = free chlorine)

Stabilizer . . . . . . Min. FC . . . . Max FC . . . 'Shock' FC
    => 0 ppm . . . . . . . 1 ppm . . . . . 3 ppm . . . . 10 ppm
    => 10 - 20 ppm . . . . 2 ppm . . . . . 5 ppm . . . . 12 ppm
    => 30 - 50 ppm . . . . 3 ppm . . . . . 6 ppm . . . . 15 ppm
    => 60 - 90 ppm . . . . 5 ppm . . . . . 10 ppm . . .. 20 ppm
    => 100 - 200 ppm . . . 8 ppm . . . . . 15 ppm . . .. 25 ppm

Last year in PA in june we got flooded, and my pool turned green from all the run off and new water. I shocked it and kept it at shock till the levels held overnight. Good luck, and wishing you good weather
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

Steve #1 is offline ** No working email address ** Steve #1 0

I'm in the same boat, but the mud is in my pool instead of around it. At least I can vacuum to waste and not worry about all the water I'm wasting.

I'm not sure what's using more chlorine, the dilution from the rain, the junk getting washed in to the pool, or the normal summer sun that pops out between the torrents of rain. It makes testing fun, because you never know what you will get.

It's a nice change from the normal weather in North Texas this time of year.

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

I'd gladly take 6-8 inches off your hands to top up my pool!
    I don't mind rain - it's my only real source of water for the pool, I actually like it unlike the rest here who seem to run to the chemical closet when it does rain.
    I add chlorine, let it finish raining, check my chemicals, adjust as necessary, let the dust settle, vac to filter (don't want to waste all that nice water I just got for free!) and voila - swimming 1 day later.

Steve #1 is offline ** No working email address ** Steve #1 0

Were at 20"+ over the past two months and there saying another 3"-6" by the weekend. It's nice to have since we've been in a drought for the past 5 years or so, and most of the lakes are finally full, but it is starting to get old.

As for waiting for it to stop, well, we're still waiting.

You can have all the watter you want..... you pay for shipping.

+ Reply to Thread