+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: i'm running my pump at night. bad idea ?

Default i'm running my pump at night. bad idea ?

in an attempt to stop the sun from burning out so much chlorine, i thought
    that keeping the water still during the day might help. so i run my pump 6:00PM to 6:00AM instead of during the day.
    (CYA is 50. I keep my chlorine between 3 and 6 as per ben's chart)

so
    1. does this even make sense to do ?
    2. pool guy has warned against this saying it would promote algae.

thanks in advance
    max

Default Re: i'm running my pump at night. bad idea ?

I only run mine at night due to cheaper electricity during off peak hours.. I'm curious to see the debate on this one as well.
    14'x31' kidney 21K gal IG plaster pool; SWCG (Saline Generating System's SGS Breeze); Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE DE filter; Whisperflow 1 HP pump; 8 hours hrs; kit purchased from Ben; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; PF:5.7

chem geek is offline PF Supporter Whibble Konker chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars chem geek 4 stars

At higher CYA levels, keeping the water still may help reduce chlorine consumption because the chlorine will mostly be degraded near the surface but the CYA will help to shield the chlorine from breakdown at lower depths. We don't know this for a fact, but this might be the case. If you try this, let us know if it works and by how much.

As for when and how long to run the pump and for preventing algae, there are two reasons to run the pump:

1) To filter the water. It doesn't really matter when the pump is run or whether it is done all at one time or spaced throughout the day. The main principle is how many turnovers of water (i.e. how much total water volume) is filtered per day. The rate needs to be high enough to filter the water faster than particulate matter builds up in it and this process is slow. Typically, one turnover per day is recommended, but this really depends on how much junk gets into your water. If the water looks dull or cloudy and its not an algae bloom (chlorine consumption hasn't gone up significantly) and calcium carbonate water balance is OK, then more filtration time is needed.

2) To circulate the water. This can also be accomplished through stirring such as from a pool cleaner, but the pump plus strategic placement of the returns, skimmer and floor drain allow for even distribution of chemicals and for a circulation pattern that tends to cause floating debris to end up in the skimmer. It is this circulation function that helps prevent algae because a localized lowering of chlorine level in an area of the pool can allow algae to grow.

So it is point #2 that your pool guy is worried about. By not having the pump on during the day, the lack of circulation could promote algae to grow during the time of day when their growth is most rapid (due to sunlight). I think the risk is low, especially if you maintain proper chlorine levels and do at least one turnover at night.

Richard

Chem Geek has the principals correct.

I split my run time just so the water gets stirred up a couple times a day.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Rent a gang of 10-12 year old boys to stir your pool everyday. They'll be happy to for pizza and soda!
    Carl

Can I use 20 yo college girls instead ?
    14'x31' kidney 21K gal IG plaster pool; SWCG (Saline Generating System's SGS Breeze); Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE DE filter; Whisperflow 1 HP pump; 8 hours hrs; kit purchased from Ben; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; PF:5.7

Quote Originally Posted by Phillbo View Post
    Can I use 20 yo college girls instead ?
    Good luck with just soda and pizza!
    IG 32' x 16', vinyl 19,500 l, Sand filter, Hawyard Low NOx 250,000 btu heater
    Heating? Great info on why a solar cover saves $$$?
    http://energy.gov/energysaver/articl...ng-pool-covers

Talking Re: i'm running my pump at night. bad idea ?

I run my pump from midnight to 0600 when the rates are low. And I switch it on when the dogs are in the pool and for a couple hours after to skim the dog hair.

I've been doing this for 2 weeks ever since we got the timer and have not noticed a difference in chlorine levels, Cl consumption, or any new and unusual algea blooms. I test the water daily with a Taylor kit.

My new plan is to run the pump on recirculate during swimming and on filter during the night.

And my really new plan is to sit on the pool deck with my .22 and shoot Japanese beetles. Before they land in the pool. They are b-a-a-a-a-d this year!
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

thats some fine shooting

OK.. here is a scenario to discuss:

My rates are lower from 9pm to 9am. Is it better to run the pump in the evening from 9pm to 3am or in the moring from 2am to 9am. Since I have a SWCG my though was to run it as late as possible into the moring so it starts the day with a good dose of chlorine. would it be better to get chlorine back into is asap after the sun has cooked it off ?

or buy some more tippers for my timer and split it into 9pm to 12am and then again from 6am to 9am ??? ohh the options are unlimited I guess

+ Reply to Thread