Thread: Pool looks like a swamp

Default Pool looks like a swamp

30k in-ground gunite
    FAC 6
    PH 7.4
    ALK 90
    CAL 200
    CYA 90

My pool is getting worse every day. We've had about 7" of rain here in the last 2 wks. Pool store suggests super flock, let everything fall to bottom and vac. Nothing is foating in the pool. Does this make sense?

Any help would be much appreciated.

John

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Cool Re: Pool looks like a swamp

jdw, while the pool store's advice would probably work - killing the algae with a sufficient dose of bleach and letting it settle to the bottom would probably also work. Ben had a 'riff' about... 'any chem you add to a pool will do something, often the desired result, but will also cause a problem that you didn't expect' -- The point is that if you just start adding 'Miracle X' chems, there will be a 'backlash' problem - POP (pool owner patience) is most often the BEST way to deal with a problem [something that took months to cause usually can't be cleared up in a day!! ]
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Default Re: Pool looks like a swamp

Quote Originally Posted by waste View Post
    jdw, while the pool store's advice would probably work - killing the algae with a sufficient dose of bleach and letting it settle to the bottom would probably also work. Ben had a 'riff' about... 'any chem you add to a pool will do something, often the desired result, but will also cause a problem that you didn't expect' -- The point is that if you just start adding 'Miracle X' chems, there will be a 'backlash' problem - POP (pool owner patience) is most often the BEST way to deal with a problem [something that took months to cause usually can't be cleared up in a day!! ]
    Thanks for the reply. Should I keep it at shock levels until it is completely clear?

Quote Originally Posted by jdw-tx View Post
    Thanks for the reply. Should I keep it at shock levels until it is completely clear?
    By saying swamp, that implies the pool is green to some extent. If you have visible algae, leave it there for sure.
    For swamp busting advice, check out this thread.
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=7622
    IG 32' x 16', vinyl 19,500 l, Sand filter, Hawyard Low NOx 250,000 btu heater
    Heating? Great info on why a solar cover saves $$$?
    http://energy.gov/energysaver/articl...ng-pool-covers

Quote Originally Posted by Spensar View Post
    By saying swamp, that implies the pool is green to some extent. If you have visible algae, leave it there for sure.
    For swamp busting advice, check out this thread.
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=7622
    I would call it more cloudy than green. When I brush the pool I can see a fine light brown mist, like dirt, which I assume is some type of algae. Does this make a difference? I'm trying to keep it at 20ppm and run 24/7.

topless is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst topless 0

That is a pretty good description of mustard algae.

+ Reply to Thread