+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I think I made a mistake

Angry I think I made a mistake

I installed Ecosmarte a couple weeks ago from the comments made by a friend and some information I have read on their websites.
    On Saturday, 6-23, the pool turned green and it has been very frustrating not being able to use a chlorine shock to get rid of it. It has been almost 5 days with a green pool.
    I am thinking of ripping the system off and going with the Autopilot SWG.
    Am I wrong is saying this and not giving the system a good amount of time to work it out?

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: I think I made a mistake

Since virtually everyone here at PoolForum (and the other unaffiliated sites TroubleFreePools and PoolTalk.Info) are totally and completely committed to chlorine as the safest, cheapest, most-effective, and easiest pool sanitation system, we are all already biased against such a system.

Can't get their site to work...
    Carl

what is ecosmarte ?
    14'x31' kidney 21K gal IG plaster pool; SWCG (Saline Generating System's SGS Breeze); Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE DE filter; Whisperflow 1 HP pump; 8 hours hrs; kit purchased from Ben; utility water; summer: none; winter: none; PF:5.7

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

It's a non-chlorine sanitizing system, apparently made in Florida. Their website kept crashing on my.
    Carl

It is a non-chlorine system using copper ionization/oxidation.

I'm thinking that you're removing the ecosmarte, right? Treat the pool with a metal sequestering system to remove the copper. DO NOT USE ANY CHLORINE TO SHOCK, YOU WILL STAIN YOUR POOL!
    You should also test for copper to ensure the sequestering treatment has removed the copper. Once gone, you can convert to bbb or AutoPilot.
    However, if you don't rid the pool of the copper first, the Pool Pilot can introduce enough chlorine to cause the copper to stain your pool too.
    Sean Assam
    Commercial Product Sales Manager - AquaCal AutoPilot Inc. Mobile: 954-325-3859
    e-mail: sean@teamhorner.com --- www.autopilot.com - www.aquacal.com

waterbear is offline Lifetime Member Sniggle Mechanic waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars waterbear 4 stars

Ecosmarte is a copper ionizer that also uses oxygen as an oxidizer. This last part is pure pseudoscience and is debunked on this page about half way down under the section titled "Other electrolytic processes, completely off the wall. It's the second entry under that section.
    Retired pool store and commercial pool maintenance guy.

OK, I am going to remove it, I can't believe I got suckered into this thing. Will go with Autopilot, since everyone on this site seems to love it.
    What type of metal sequestering system should I use? What should my numbers look like before I start the autopilot?
    Last edited by dagall; 06-28-2007 at 10:51 PM.

+ Reply to Thread