+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cloudy water

Default Cloudy water

Hi everyone,
    My pool has been open for about a month It has been very clear but my ph was low. I have been adding borax and it has slowly come up. I was using trichlor pucks but have switched back to bleach. Last night was very windy and it was hard to see the bottom of the pool but I was hoping it was because of the rippling... No such luck I added 1 box of Borax and 1 gal of bleach When I got home tonight the pool is so cloudy I cant see the bottom of the pool (81/2 ft) When I checked the water the chlorine was 0 what would cause it to go thru so much chlorine in one day ?? Here is my info from tonight

22000 gal ig vinyl liner
    85 degrees
    Cl 0
    Ph 7.2
    Ta 100
    CYA 60-65

TIA

Kevin

Default Re: Cloudy water

Hi Kevin,

If it were my pool I would add several gallons of bleach, run the pump for 24 hrs, and brush the bottom and sides for all I'm worth to get whatever is ailing the water stirred up and filtered out. You say "Cl = 0" . Which Cl reading is that? Free chlorine? Total chlorine? Are you using strips or a reagent kit?

At this point it's moot, IMO, since you have cloudy water and a 0 reading. Something is growing and needs to be controlled.

You wrote this on June 23. Today is the 25th. What have you done over the past couple days and what were the results?
    Oval 12.5K gal AGP; Hayward 19" sand filter; Pentair Dyn 1 HP 2sp pump on timer
    [URL="http://www.ellerbach.com/Pool/"]My Pool Pages[/URL]

I went through a similar experience. Try using a flocking treatment. It has worked wonders for our situation.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

You probably should post CH levels. You may have an algae bloom, you may have too much calcium--hard to tell.

RAISING pH will not help clear your pool--but it should be over 7.2 anyway. Borax should not be clouding it.

With a CYA of 60-70, you need to shock your pool up to at least a FC level of 15ppm, probably 20ppm (no more) and hold it there until it clears, running your pump 24/7.
    Carl

Thanks
    I will post the CH levels tonight, I am using the drop based kit that I bought here last year. I brought the pool up over 15ppm cl it cleared some but not clear like it was. Ill post results tonight when I get home

Thanks
    Kevin

Do you have a drain at the bottom of your pool? If your "ig vinyl liner" is like mine you don't. So all your water gets pulled from the top and the "heavier, cloudy" water is below the skimmer. Take a vacuum head, connect it to the cleaner or skimmer ports and toss the head in the deep end to pull from the bottom. If you have a sand filter add a cup of DE through the skimmer first.

My pool was slightly green & cloudy on Saturday morning because I let it go for a couple days. Did the above (along with 2 gals of bleach) and I was crystal clear the next morning,.
    Ken J
    Glenside, PA
    16x32 Inground, 20,000 Gals, Pentair WhisperFlo Pump WFDS-24, Hayward Sand FilterS310T2 (with occasional DE added)

Thank You

I added another box of Borax about 2-1/2 hrs ago and brought the water back up to shock level a couple of minutes ago.

The pool is a lot better ,almost crystal clear, I turned the auto chlorinator back on yesterday (3" pucks) It is the only way I could chlorinate during the day.

Here are my levels before I brought the cl up

Cl 3.5
    Ph 7.4
    Ta 100
    CYA 60-65
    CH 150

Like I said the water looks a lot better but it seems to be consuming a lot of chlorine ??

Thanks

Kevin

Ken,
    Yes I do have a main Drain and My filter is DE , There was some nasty brown water coming out of mt jets so I also backwashed the filter yesterday and added new DE
    Sorry forgot that part
    Kevin

+ Reply to Thread