+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 200lbs sand in a 250lb filter

Default 200lbs sand in a 250lb filter

I know those goof balls that installed my pool only put 200 lbs of sand in my filter and it states that it holds 250lbs. I have had a great looking pool since last july and don't want to mess with something that isn't broke, but I guess when I clean out the sand, and refill, I will use FIVE bags instead of just FOUR bags right? And the pool store also told us that soft swimmers must change yearly and chlorine swimmers have about 3 years before they need to change. ANYONE?
    30' Esther Williams Classic Granite
    Installed july 2006

Default Re: 200lbs sand in a 250lb filter

Quote Originally Posted by traceyb View Post
    And the pool store also told us that soft swimmers must change yearly and chlorine swimmers have about 3 years before they need to change. ANYONE?
    They are right about biguanide pools having to change sand often, but chlorine pools seldom need the sand changed. For certain not every three years.

duraleigh Guest

Ditto to what John said. Sand has been in many chlorine based filters ten years or so.

I would simply add the fifty lbs at my leisure. Your pressure will increase some but you'll get additional filtering capacity.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

I'm having no problems in the 5th year of my sand--in fact it's filtering better than ever.
    Carl

Oh how nice it is to hear you all say this. I can only imagine how much of a pain in the batoootie it is to CHANGE the sand. The pool is new as of 7.2006, so I suppose I have several years yet eh? I just heard that it's good to change it about every 2-3 years so the filter job is better. A friend of mine stated that in their oval AG the water gets cloudy, they change the sand and waa laa. However, I don't want to get in the situation where the pool is open for the season THEN have to change sand. THAT could make matters no fun.

So, when it IS time to change is a shop vac the best way to get that out? I hear your not supposed to "roll" the filter for risk you might break a "lateral head"
    30' Esther Williams Classic Granite
    Installed july 2006

+ Reply to Thread