+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just installed a solar cover, when is the best time to run the filter?

Default Just installed a solar cover, when is the best time to run the filter?

I have an 18x36 IG vinyl pool that I have been running the filter from 8PM to 6AM to save $$$ running it at night. So far this year the pool has been perfect, no complaints.

The only issue was temperature, so the wife and I installed our first ever solar cover which went a lot smoother than I anticipated. My question is will running the filter at night create any additional heat loss than running it during the day?

I thought maybe running it during the day would help mix the warmer water up top with the colder down below as it heats during the day.

Just wondering what others found to work the best. Pool was 78 tonight, hopefully we will see 80s within the next couple of days.

NWMNMom is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver NWMNMom 0

Default Re: Just installed a solar cover, when is the best time to run the filter?

We run ours during the day but then we are pushing water through solar panels so we have to. The cover can heat the top 4, maybe up to 6" of water in your pool so it is nice to mix it upMaybe split your run time with a timer so that you can run some during the hottest part of the day and also run at night to distribute the chlorine - the evening is the best time for chlorine to go in so the sun doesn't burn it off. Cover will help reduce that too though.
    Beats driving to the lake!
    18'x33'x52" AG oval, hard plumbed system, 22" Pentair Meteor Filter 1.5hp pump, Goldline SWCG System, 2/4x20 SolarBear Panels, Biltmore Steps - 16x14' composite deck, Pool Rover Jr

Default Re: Just installed a solar cover, when is the best time to run the filter?

I run mine in two shifts with the solor cover on. It runs from 8:00 am to 11:00 am and then again from 2:00 pm to 6:00 pm. Running the pump during the day helps distribute the warmer water around the pool and if I run it after dark, the pool is cooler in the morning than if I left the pump off. The cover stays on all the time when the pool is not being used unless the air temerature stays at about 90 degrees, then the pool gets to warm and I take off the cover.

Thanks all. I only have the ability to run 1 shift per day. I may be able to purchase a couple of more thumbscrew timing setting though, then I could run it more than 1 setting. I will look into that.

I will be running it tomorrow during the day to see how it works. Got home today and the water was at 84 (+6 degrees), but of course the thermometer was closer to the top of the water so that is off.

+ Reply to Thread