+ Reply to Thread

Thread: skimmer basket getting stuck?????

Unhappy skimmer basket getting stuck?????

Has anyone had this problem? when it comes time to twist, and remove the skimmer basket it is stuck. So stuck that I have to get a screw driver and a hammer and tap on it and sometimes I give up on that. It has two straight edges that have to be lined up to remove and when you reinsert it you twist it slightly so that it doesn't tilt. It keeps getting stuck and I don't know why or how to fix it. The only thing I can think of is the chlorine pucks doing this. I have a floater but don't want it to "linger" by the wedding cake steps and railing. HELP
    30' Esther Williams Classic Granite
    Installed july 2006

Default Re: skimmer basket getting stuck?????

AHHH !!!!!!
    I have the same problem. My has been stuck for 2 weeks! I am afraid I will break it if i get more forceful.
    I don't have any pucks in there either so, I don't know what the heck the deal is.

~Hoffmans

NWMNMom is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver NWMNMom 0

Are you using skimmer socks? I don't know what brand your skimmer is and they are all just a little different, some have a deeper "shelf" that the basket rests on and it fits too snug in there and gets stuck. A skimmer sock will make the edges of the basket just ever so much larger and it may not drop in there so snug next time. Other than that, try just a real thin layer of silicone lube to the outer edges of the basket - its waterproof but may help it to stay loose in there.
    Beats driving to the lake!
    18'x33'x52" AG oval, hard plumbed system, 22" Pentair Meteor Filter 1.5hp pump, Goldline SWCG System, 2/4x20 SolarBear Panels, Biltmore Steps - 16x14' composite deck, Pool Rover Jr

Traceyb you made me laugh, I went through the same thing. My pool was brand new, I would put the basket in, twist it just a little under the catches and minutes later it would not budge. I didn't use pucks so I don't think that is your problem.............I ended up using a small fine file on the outside edge of the basket, actually filed quite a bit but now I don't have to say bad words when I try to get the basket out.

meade

Talking Re: skimmer basket getting stuck?????

Quote Originally Posted by meade View Post
    Traceyb you made me laugh, I went through the same thing. My pool was brand new, I would put the basket in, twist it just a little under the catches and minutes later it would not budge. I didn't use pucks so I don't think that is your problem.............I ended up using a small fine file on the outside edge of the basket, actually filed quite a bit but now I don't have to say bad words when I try to get the basket out.

meade
    I'm glad I could be of assistance in the humor department. You'd really laught if you could see me out there cursing a few. BUT, now laugh at this. How do I get the #$*! thing OUT to file it? REMEMBER: A lady with a temper and a stuck skimmer basket may result in hazardous conditions to the pool. NOW you got me laughing, but this is NO laughing mater
    Installed july 2006

The times it really got stuck before I filed it down, I used a long file through the skimmer opening and then tapped the end of the file with a hammer. Once out I rounded the outside edge and also filed it (basket) all the way around real good. After doing it I would put it back in and gently turn it under the tabs........if it felt like it was still too tight and going to get stuck I would file more off. Believe me when I say I feel your pain!

My brother has a basket with a handle going all the way across it, it is much easier to grasp and turn to get out. Yours sounds much like mine in that there is nothing to really grab onto..........thus causing many four letter words.

meade

mbar is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars mbar 3 stars

There is something about those four letter words that work
    Northeast PA
    16'x32' kidney 16K gal IG fiberglass pool; Bleach; Hayward 200lb sand filter; Hayward pump; 24hrs; Pf200; well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:7.5

Quote Originally Posted by mbar View Post
    There is something about those four letter words that work
    NO @$*!
    You curse, then cut your hand somewhere then you flat get the basket out. HEEHEE

Thanks guys, you've made this "basket" easier to deal with.
    Installed july 2006

TraceyB,
    Did you get it unstuck?
    Ours is still stuck.

~Hoffmans

I have dealt w/ it. It's still stuck...but if I grab a small small screwdriver and pry it where I can, it comes up. It's hard and it could be filed down. So far I have not filed it, and probably will. I've just used my hand to clean out the basket, but I'll eventually need it out again when it's time to clean out the basket in the pump. Good luck.
    Oh, there is enough space in two places for a small screwdriver,,,,gently pry and work it till it comes up.
    Installed july 2006

+ Reply to Thread