Closed Thread

Thread: Bonding Wire

Default Bonding Wire

How long has a bonding wire been a requirement? I ask because I don't have one. Is it an issue of pump location with respect to the pool? Or should be required period? I'm not having any issues at the moment, but would like to be up to code and as safe as possible.

Vinyl in ground pool with ladder, concrete deck, pump 15 feet from pool's water edge.

Default Re: Bonding Wire

Dont know how long its been required, but my parents AG pool that was installed about 23 years ago had to have one. My IG pool also has one.

Also I dont think it has anything to do with how far the equipment is from the pool....its there to send any electrical hits to the water to the pump and, I believe, to cause the circuit breaker to pop after the extra electricity has been brought back to the pump.

Are you *sure* you dont have one? I believe it gets connected directly to the sides of the pool, and then the loop is created back to the pump. Maybe the wire is just buried somewhere around your equipment pad? It should be a fairly thick copper wire with a green outer shield, and there should be some sort of square attachment hanging off of the pump where this wire should be clamped into.

-Chris

Default Re: Bonding Wire

There is definitely a place on the pump for it, but no wire. I'll dig around the edges of the pad and see if I find one. The pump and filter were in the basement when we moved in and I'm guessing the pool company didn't bother to hook it up when they didn't see it sticking out of the ground.

Closed Thread