+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee

Default Re: What should it cost w/chemicals?

I agree with that. I just don't think those charges are any more outrageous than a $4 cup of coffee at Starbucks or an $8 can of beer at the ballpark... and we gladly pay those.

EDIT by Watermom -- In case anybody is reading this and thinks Jeff's comment "I agree with that" seems kind of out of the blue and random, it is because this coffee discussion was moved out of a different forum. The original thread was a discussion about how much money it takes to operate a pool and several comments about coffee just kept building until 19 or the 26 posts within that thread were about coffee. So, I moved those posts here into a separate thread in the "off topic and general interest" forum.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Watermom; 06-14-2007 at 02:00 PM.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffski View Post
    I agree with that. I just don't think those charges are any more outrageous than a $4 cup of coffee at Starbucks or an $8 can of beer at the ballpark... and we gladly pay those.
    I don't. And where I live Starbucks is over $6--but Dunkin' is still $2.25 for a large coffee. I haven't bought a cup of coffee at Starbucks in 10 years.

And even at Giant Stadium for Jets games the premium beer is about $7...I don't pay it gladly, but because I have no alternative.
    Carl

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

even 2.25 is a lot for a cup of coffee that cost approximately 20 cents to make, here in Canada, Tim Horton's charges 1.35 for a large, that's about 1.00 US, now that's fair!
    I think Carl got "pool stored" at the dunkin donuts!!!! Hope they delivered that for ya!!!!

Unfortunately, if you have ANY trade come to your house to do work, you get charged big time, that's the way it is. If people learn to help themselves, this can be overcome easily enough, however, if you do not want to educate yourself on how to fix or maintain what you own, then you pay the price, that's just the way it is.
    I saved myself approximately 1350 dollars this spring between a furnace issue and a septic tank issue - the furnace fix was 200 instead of 600 and the septic issue was 40 (yes 40!!!) instead of 900 - funny how the stink factor can increase the cost so dramatically!!!!!!

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by matt4x4 View Post
    even 2.25 is a lot for a cup of coffee that cost approximately 20 cents to make, here in Canada, Tim Horton's charges 1.35 for a large, that's about 1.00 US, now that's fair!
    I think Carl got "pool stored" at the dunkin donuts!!!! Hope they delivered that for ya!!!!
    And on the streets of NY, the vender carts charge $1.60! And it's better coffee than Dunkin, which is light years better than Starjunk's!
    Carl

KurtV is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver KurtV 0

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    For me, I cannot fathom allowing someone to open or close my pool. When I open, while I have lots of dirt on the bottom, the water is always clear, with no green.

Even more so, though, I cannot see why our denizens here should ever allow a "professional" to add any chems to their pool.

But to each his own, and I think if you choose to have a service open and close your pool, you should still handle all the testing and chemicals yourself. We TRY to make understanding pool chemistry easy for our fellow home-owners.
    While I too prefer to do my own work on the pool, for many people it's just not worth it. There are many people who make salaries that equate to hourly wages of well over 100 dollars; saving a couple hundred bucks for a few hours work just doesn't make sense for them. Even if they're getting a fairly raw deal. Likewise, spending even 5 or 10 minutes per day on maintenance. I'm not in that boat (yet), but I understand the mentality.

I certainly don't get the coffee thing in this country; the last time I was in Italy (2005) a stand-up cappucino was about 0.80 euros and, at every single bar I went to, the coffee was sublime.

Dunkin' Donuts dark roast isn't too bad, but that fake cream they use is truly an abomination.

Starbucks coffee is 1.80 plus tax here. I can't imagine paying $6.00. Must be those same people who are hiring pool services.

Okay I admit I was referring to the Latte and not just a coffee. I've never bought coffee from Starbucks because I can't tell the difference, but about once a month I need a Toffee Nut Latte and will happily pay the $4.

Quote Originally Posted by KurtV View Post

Dunkin' Donuts dark roast isn't too bad, but that fake cream they use is truly an abomination.

Starbucks coffee is 1.80 plus tax here. I can't imagine paying $6.00. Must be those same people who are hiring pool services.
    Fake cream? Here, they use milk and I usually drink it black.

Starbucks $!.80? Here they let you come in and smell the coffee for that. That gets you a shot-glass size cup, but it isn't espresso, turkish or cuban coffee--it's just coffee (and bad coffee too!)
    Carl

NWMNMom is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver NWMNMom 0

I think there are a lot of people out there who just haven't been able to find us here on our forums so don't know just how simple and inexpensive it is. I have lots of friends and relatives that still roll their eyes and think I am lying or exagerating when I say that my pool really is not much work at all, and VERY little more work than those smaller soft side pools.

I would admit that when we started, we were clueless and some of the pool places (not all I'm sure, but all around here!) really do make it seem like rocket science so people are scared away from DIY pool maintc.

BTW, I never buy a cup of coffee, I get up early and grind beans for a fresh pot each day. DIY pool, DIY coffee - spread it around.
    Beats driving to the lake!
    18'x33'x52" AG oval, hard plumbed system, 22" Pentair Meteor Filter 1.5hp pump, Goldline SWCG System, 2/4x20 SolarBear Panels, Biltmore Steps - 16x14' composite deck, Pool Rover Jr

Quote Originally Posted by NWMNMom View Post

BTW, I never buy a cup of coffee, I get up early and grind beans for a fresh pot each day. DIY pool, DIY coffee - spread it around.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah.....

I have coffee shipped to NJ from the best roaster in the world: M.E. Swing's of Alexandria, VA. We've had it shipped for 14 years.

I grind it every night just before bed and set it for my wife, the early riser. Weekdays, 12 cups, weekends, 14 cups. Grind to near powder, shake the filter so the coffee is level, stir or let sit to blend the flavor evenly...

We alternate between Guatemalan, Ethiopian (Yergacheffe), Columbian, Kenyan, French Breakfast and a house blend they call Mesco ("M.E.Swing& CO"--get it?).

That doesn't keep me from buying the occasional cup of Dunkin'--and ENJOYING it!

And good diner coffee is still good diner coffee (when it's good).
    Carl

One word: Cuisinart Grind 'n Brew

Ok, a couple words... but still.
    Every morning, dump in the beans, pour in the water, push the button.
    Even my wife can do it!

+ Reply to Thread