+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Lowering TA with Dry Acid Or Muriatic Acid

Default Re: Lowering TA with Dry Acid Or Muriatic Acid

Until my wife decides on a purty fountain, will this do the job?

Seriously, though, does this serve the purpose? Should I put more holes in the end cap... i.e. add more streams?

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    Yup that's it.
    Last edited by CelticDaddio; 06-14-2007 at 01:29 AM.
    Thanks,
    Ed

--------------------------
    33,000 Gallon
    20'x40'
    Vinyl
    IG

It's been awhile since I visited the forum. I have had great success following the recommendations here. Glad to see it's alive and well.

18,000 FG IG

My TDS got too high (could that be from using bleach (93% salt) all these years?) so had to drain a little more than half and truck in 10,000 gallons of water this morning.

My TA is high (210) on my first test. PH is 7.2. Should I wait for everything to settle down before adjusting. Or should I start lowering PH and begin aerating now? How do you calculate the amount of muriatic acid to lower .2?

Can you shock while adjusting PH (adding acid)?
    Fiberglass IG with hot tub/18,500 gallons

NWMNMom is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver NWMNMom 0

I might be over paranoid, but why would you want to lower your PH much more than where it is? Get too much more acidic and maybe risk some damage...I would just aerate to get the TA down.
    Beats driving to the lake!
    18'x33'x52" AG oval, hard plumbed system, 22" Pentair Meteor Filter 1.5hp pump, Goldline SWCG System, 2/4x20 SolarBear Panels, Biltmore Steps - 16x14' composite deck, Pool Rover Jr

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

For CelticDaddio yes, what you have pictured there will help...anything that gets the water moving at or above the surface will work.

For longgrove, glad to see you back. Just FYI, you'll probably get more useful responses to your question if you'll start your own thread instead of adding to another one. In answer to your questions, you can go ahead and lower your pH and begin aeration, just make sure you don't drop it too low. I would not shock the pool while in the TA lowering process--the higher chlorine levels tend to skew the pH readings, making them falsely high. You don't want to take that chance when you're dealing with pH at the bottom of the acceptable range to begin with.

Janet

I am confused. In this thread http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=7546 you told me my TA was too high and to read the
    "HOWTO: Step-by-Step Guide to lowering your alkalinity" sticky. Having read that I thought that aeration did lower the TA, but now re-reading I have a different understanding (or mis-understanding).

Is it the acid you add that lowers the pH that also lowers the TA? Do we then aerate to raise the pH without raising the TA as well? Is it the combination of these two things (aeration and acid) which effectively lowers the TA but keeps the pH at the right level?

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Watermom View Post
    Aeration doesn't lower TA. Aeration raises ph.

Check out this link.

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=6746
    Thanks,
    Ed

33,000 Gallon
    20'x40'
    Vinyl
    IG

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Ed,
    The original sticky Ben put up is confusing and leads you to think the aeration lowers T/A. It does NOT.

T/A is connected to pH, and when you lower pH it pulls down T/A. When you raise pH, it bounces back up again.

BUT, when you aerate, you gas off carbonic acid as CO2 (like making soda flat) and that allows pH to rise WITHOUT T/A going up with it. Waterbear has a great explanation of the chemistry in The China Shop.

BTW, Ed, that's got to be the absolute A-Number One UGGGLIEEST home-made fountain I've ever seen! Congratulations, guy! (though I think the monstrosity Robert DeNiro gives Billy Crystal in "Analyze This" has it beat hands down!)

But it's clever and practical and should work GREAT to gas off the carbonic acid and raise your pH--and that's really all that's important.

Carl
    Carl

Thanks, I'll take clever over pretty any day. And it cost me no additional $... Already had everything from when I moved my filter/pump/etc last fall (That was a pain!)

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    Ed,
    The original sticky Ben put up is confusing and leads you to think the aeration lowers T/A. It does NOT.

T/A is connected to pH, and when you lower pH it pulls down T/A. When you raise pH, it bounces back up again.

BUT, when you aerate, you gas off carbonic acid as CO2 (like making soda flat) and that allows pH to rise WITHOUT T/A going up with it. Waterbear has a great explanation of the chemistry in The China Shop.

BTW, Ed, that's got to be the absolute A-Number One UGGGLIEEST home-made fountain I've ever seen! Congratulations, guy! (though I think the monstrosity Robert DeNiro gives Billy Crystal in "Analyze This" has it beat hands down!)

But it's clever and practical and should work GREAT to gas off the carbonic acid and raise your pH--and that's really all that's important.

Carl
    Thanks,
    Ed

33,000 Gallon
    20'x40'
    Vinyl
    IG

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Ed,
    Just to keep the threads from getting really long, it is best not to always include the whole previous post quoted in your replies. Of course, there are times when you need to quote a part of one and that is fine.

Thanks and enjoy your pool!

NWMNMom is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver NWMNMom 0

Ok, good - so this clarifies the situation for our pool, which is just the opposite - I do NOT want to aerate my pool as it will make my PH rise, its too high already, I want my TA and PH to both go down so acid is the answer for me. It was just explained to me but a bit different route in another thread on TFP and this seals it. Good to know. (BTW, it likely got that high due to 10" plus of rain in the last 2 wks, the salt and the bleach - TA started out on the high end)
    Beats driving to the lake!
    18'x33'x52" AG oval, hard plumbed system, 22" Pentair Meteor Filter 1.5hp pump, Goldline SWCG System, 2/4x20 SolarBear Panels, Biltmore Steps - 16x14' composite deck, Pool Rover Jr

+ Reply to Thread