+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Brand new pool, a lot to learn

Default Brand new pool, a lot to learn

Our 30' X 52" round pool is filling for the first time as I write this. I have never owned a pool before and have a lot to learn. I have several questions:
    1. How fast will I need to get cl in the pool?
    2. Should I wait until the water reaches the skimmer so I can circulate it or should I add it now as it fills?
    3. How much cya should I add and at what levels should I manitain it?
    4. Is borax a buffer to help stabilize my pH.
    5. Does baking soda raise the pH?
    Sorry for all the questions but I really need a crash course. I wish I had found this site a while back so I could have learned a little more a little sooner. This is a great site!
    Thanks in advance for your help
    Dave

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Brand new pool, a lot to learn

Quote Originally Posted by dhale63
    Our 30' X 52" round pool is filling for the first time as I write this. I have never owned a pool before and have a lot to learn. I have several questions:
    1. How fast will I need to get cl in the pool?
    I would immediately pour a gallon of regular bleach or 3 quart bottle of regular bleach slowly into the fill stream immediately--I'd rather get chlorine in ASAP than risk algae. 1 gal of regular bleach should put you at approx 3ppm of chlorine with no stabilizer. Be sure to have a test kit and check it a couple of times a day until you have 30ppm of CYA.

2. Should I wait until the water reaches the skimmer so I can circulate it or should I add it now as it fills?
    3. How much cya should I add and at what levels should I manitain it?
    2. is answered.
    You should put in some CYA. I'm guessing your pool is about 15-17,000 gallons. Buy a small container of CYA at the pool store, and calculate from the directions how much you need to get 15,000 gallons to 30ppm. Then add 1/4 to 1/2 that recommended amount. Wait 3-5 days to test your CYA and THEN add more if you haven't reached the 30-60 range...CYA is easy to add, hard to get out.

4. Is borax a buffer to help stabilize my pH.
    5. Does baking soda raise the pH?
    Right church, wrong pew. You have them reversed. Borax raises pH. Arm&Hammer raises "Total Alkalinity", which is the buffer to stabilize pH. Aim for 80-125, but you can, with a vinyl pool, go to 180ppm of Total Alkalinity.

Sorry for all the questions but I really need a crash course. I wish I had found this site a while back so I could have learned a little more a little sooner. This is a great site!
    Thanks in advance for your help
    Dave
    Actually, these are pretty terrific questions for a newbie! You are bang on the key items.

Just make sure you have a good test kit. At a minimum you should have a little OTO/pH kit, but sometimes WalMart has the HTH 5-way test kit (uses drops, not test strips). This is an amazing bargain at $15. It will do most of what you need (all, if you know how to use it beyond the instructions).

However, it is WELL worth it to invest in Ben's kit or the equivalent. I assure it will pay for itself in one season.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
    Carl

+ Reply to Thread