+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My pump housing has iron pipe in the inlet/outlet

sailork is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst sailork 0

Default My pump housing has iron pipe in the inlet/outlet

I've got a pump pad that would make Dr Seuss proud. 2" pvc feeds into 1.5" pvc in more than one location. I've got ancient metal gate valves mated to PVC. I'm going to replumb the whole pad.

The problem is that I've got a brand new motor and impeller (thanks to the homeowners warranty.) But the housing is easily 10 years old if not 20 or more. It's got iron pipe segments screwed into the inlet and outlet that will have to go when I replumb the pad.

Can anybody offer me hope for getting the rusted chunks out of the housing and successfully mating new PVC to the openings? Or should I just buy a new housing before I get started?

It's a PacFab Challenger 1.5hp if that matters.
    22,000 gal gunite pool, 1.5 hp pump, DE filter, and dreams of a SWG.

Sumo1 is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher Sumo1 0

Default Re: My pump housing has iron pipe in the inlet/outlet

Can you post a photo?
    Hal
    20x40 IG gunite free form, approx. 27K gal, 60sq DE filter, Jandy Stealth 2hp 2speed pump, Polaris 380, SWCG

Sure, I'll have to take one in the morning.

It'll show a 2 inch long peice of 2 inch iron pipe screwed into the inlet and outlet of the housing. The threads are clearly rusted where you can see them, but not more than you'd expect.

The housing has the telltale crystalization that comes with old nylon housings like that.

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Thumbs up Re: My pump housing has iron pipe in the inlet/outlet

Sailor, I think you'll be pleasantly suprised when you remove the iron pipes. The rust you see is on the exposed threads, the ones that are screwed in to the housing are probably not rusted (if it hasn't leaked, no water ever made it to the threaded in part). I'd still suggest using teflon tape, pipe dope -aka joint sealer (those 2 terms makes it sound like I'm back in high school talking to my 'stoner' friends ) and on the effluent port, I'd put an appropriately sized O-ring.
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Thanks Waste, I was hoping you'd reply. When I work up the courage to handle it all at once I'll cross my fingers and hope the pipes come out smoothly. I'm sure somebody here in houston stocks housings for these things if not.

When I put it back together I'm just going to be gluing PVC into the openings correct? Or is there a better way?

The openings might very well be threaded (after all, the iron pipe screws into the intlet, right?), then all you need is the appropriate size PVC male fitting (Im assuming the inlets are female) and some teflon tape.

The iron will probably come out pretty easily too, you could try a band wrench or if you get desparate drill holes thru the pipe and shove a screwdriver thru to give you some torque

I actually had something similar to that setup when we moved into our house........flex PVC pipe to brass gate valve to brass adapter into the pump. Luckily I needed to replace pump and filter so it all got tossed.

Ok, thanks that makes sense.

I've been considering using flexible PVC in a couple of places, did you have any good or bad experiences with it?

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Cool Re: My pump housing has iron pipe in the inlet/outlet

Sailor,
    Like Chris said, use PVC fittings (male adaptors) to do the replumb, and use the teflon, thread sealer to make sure the connections don't leak. I would use ridgid sch 40 pipe to do the connections (the flex will get 'diseased - looking' after sitting exposed for a few months.) I'm about to log out, but will be back tomorrow afternoon {I get to play golf at a GREAT course tomorrow !!! }

I thank you for your faith in me and will check in tomorrow evening

[edit] CONGRATULATIONS on gaining your seniority!!! [/edit]
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Talking Re: My pump housing has iron pipe in the inlet/outlet

Thanks Waste, I'm planning to replumb the whole pad and I'm hoping to plumb it for minimum head. I'm considering things like smooth curve pipe or 45 degree angles. I don't have a backflush valve for the DE filter and I don't plan to bother with one so I should end up with very low head pretty easily. I've got a barracuda that will be on it's own suction port and I'll be plumbing the main drain so I can pump into or out of it. (the baracuda sticks to it if I leave it on suck anyway..;0)

When I plumbed our new equipment I never even though about low head amount. Our Northstar pump allows for a 2" connection from pump to valve, so I used 2" pipe, even with a 90 degree elbow in it. its such a short run from pump to valve I didnt think much of it.

As far as flexible PVC........Ive really only seen it used underground (although our original equipment had it above ground too). The problem with it above ground is......weedwackers! I had our lines pressure tested before determinig if we should save the pool, and there were a couple gashes in the flexible PVC where they left the ground. ive since converted everything above ground to rigid PVC. Granted you can cut that up pretty well too, but I just stay clear of the equipment with the trimmer (and this year Ill finally dig out around the equipment pad and put in gravel so I dont have to trim around it anymore).

Good luck.

-Chris

+ Reply to Thread