+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New house with a pool

Default New house with a pool

This site is awesome.
    This is my first pool and I love it. It is a 22,000 gallon inground vinyl and it is crystal clear. The owner left me enough chemicals to last the summer for sure. I just tested the water with a kit the previous owner left behind and got theses numbers. Is this in the ball park of where they should be. I am trying to aviod going to Leslies even though there is a cute girl that works there.

Alk 100
    cl 1.0
    ph 7.8

The fish that keeps on swimming is the first to chill upstream

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Default Re: New house with a pool

Hi Mike, and welcome to the forum. Your pool looks great and you've come to the right place to be able to keep it that way. We are going to need some more numbers to be able to steer you correctly. We need to know the following numbers which your kit may not be able to give you. If that is the case, it is important that you buy a kit that will so that you can do your own testing and not get suckered into buying a bunch of stuff you don't need.

We need:
    FC (free chlorine)
    CC (combined chlorine)
    TC (total chlorine)
    CYA (cyanuric acid)

We also need to know exactly what all you have put in the pool. (Ingredients, not just "shock.")

Your alk is OK at 100. Your ph is OK at 7.8, but that is the outside high of the OK range. Any higher and you'll need to lower it.

Your chlorine at 1.0 probably isn't OK, but without knowing your cya level, I can't say for sure.

Post some more readings as soon as you can get a kit that will test for all these things. (No test strips. Use a drops based kit.)

I would also suggest doing a lot of reading through other posts on this forum and also read at the sister site - www.poolsolutions.com

Again, welcome. (BTW, there are lots of cute girls at other places besides pool stores. Find one somewhere else!! )

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Welcome!
    I'm not crazy about a pH of 7.8. It's easier on the eyes, but makes it harder for the chlorine to do its job. You can use either Muriatic acid or powdered acid (called Dry Acid or Low'n'Slow" to lower it. Use LESS than they recommend--it's always easier to add more of a chemical than compensate for too much.

Go to either Taylortechnologies.com or Leslies on-line and order either the K-2006C test kit from Taylor or the Leslies FAS-DPD Service Test Kit. Both are essentially the same kits, both use Taylor brand chemicals.

The FAS-DPD chlorine test is NOT the same as the DPD chlorine test. FAS-DPD measures FC (free chlorine--the good stuff) up to 50ppm, and also measures CC(combined chloramines--the used up stuff) to the same. FC + CC = TC (Total Chlorine) which is what your kit measures.

But either test kit will become your BEST FRIEND when it comes to maintaining your pool. The $60-$80 will be the best $$$ you spend on it, too.

Test Chlorine and pH everyday (your little kit is fine unless chlorine goes higher than it measures) and once a week run all the tests in the FAS-DPD kit--AND WRITE DOWN YOUR MEASUREMENTS! I used to do it in a hand-held PDA spreadsheet--then I got lazy after several years and just write it down all season. Record the date and water temp as well.

As WaterMom said, read a lot here. You'll learn about B-B-B for chemicals (Bleach, Borax and Baking Soda) and what the chems are the previous owner left.

Read the stickied sections first.

Then go to www.PoolSolutions.com and read everything you can get to. It's the sister site to this one.
    Carl

Well I haven't picked up a new test kit like ya'll suggested. It has been 11 days later and the pool is still so clear that you could read the date on a quarter that is on the floor of the deep end. My Alk is sitting at 80, the ph is down and holding at 7.4 and the chlorine level is sitting right at 1.5. Do you suggest I try to raise the Alk. I have 22,000 gallon inground pool and use the tabs that you drop in the chlorinator. The only thing that I have added has been the Aqua Clear from Leslies, and that just seemed to make it better than before. I went to Cosco and picked up a bucket of Baking Soda in case I need it for the Alkalinity.
    The fish that keeps on swimming is the first to chill upstream

NWMNMom is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver NWMNMom 0

Things are going well NOW, but if something happens (big rain, bug migration, tree pollen, heavy swimmer load, super hot day) your pool could turn on you very quickly - like it was fine when I went to bed last night, what happened? and there is no way to make a good decision on fixing it without the proper numbers which requires a good test kit. The chlorine numbers seem aweful low to fight any kind of algae or bacteria.
    Beats driving to the lake!
    18'x33'x52" AG oval, hard plumbed system, 22" Pentair Meteor Filter 1.5hp pump, Goldline SWCG System, 2/4x20 SolarBear Panels, Biltmore Steps - 16x14' composite deck, Pool Rover Jr

BigMike, unless you have no CYA in your pool at all, your CL level is too low to maintain sanitary conditions in your pool....and if you have no CYA, then your CL is burned up by the sun in no time, leaving your pool with insufficient CL for a significant portion of the time. It may look wonderful, but you are flirting with disaster.

If you don't want to buy a kit, that's certainly your choice. At least take a sample to a pool store that tests water with a drops based system and ask them to test your CYA level. Than take a look at the best guess CYA chart to determine what your minimum CL level should be.

Beautiful pool, good luck with it!

I just got a quote from a Canadian retailer whom Lowry's & Associates recommended in my local vicinity (here in Canada) ... K-2006C (very specific) .. is $408 CND ... K-2006 .. $208 CND ... K-2005 (NOT FAS type re: NO FC/CC breakdown) ... $169 CND ... all before taxes too! Boy did my mouth DROP when I heard that K-2006C was $408 CND.

Still looking for alternate then ... wonder if Leslies ships across border?
    ~~
    18' Round Dolfino type AGP w/blow-up ring w/ modified piping for Jacuzzi sand filter & 3/4HP Hayward Superpump

Sumo1 is offline Registered+ Weir Watcher Sumo1 0

I bought a K-2006C (SERVICE COMPLETE) FOR $84.50 US on sale from Lincoln Aquatics in California. I hope it helps you.
    Hal
    20x40 IG gunite free form, approx. 27K gal, 60sq DE filter, Jandy Stealth 2hp 2speed pump, Polaris 380, SWCG

Jakebear is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst Jakebear 0

Go to http://www.taylortechnologies.com/ price in US is $74.00 free shipping and you will have it in a couple of days.
    27038 Gallon InGround, Vinyl, DE filter.

I just checked the Taylor site and the K-2006C is $126 USD. They do mention that Canadian customers can go through a distributor in Ontario. Click on the Shopping/International Sales tab.
    34 X 22/15 inground vinyl w/ Hayward equipment

+ Reply to Thread