+ Reply to Thread

Thread: pump problems

Default pump problems

I'm having some problems with my pump. I have a sand filter and a 1 1/2 hp pump. Last year we had no problems and did take the pump in for the winter.

I started noticing that when I ran my suction side cleaner (diver dave) that the pump basket would get about 2" of air in the top and the cleaner wasn't moving like he was supposed to. I tried the regular old manual vacuum and it did the same thing. I had thought maybe it was the hoses on Dave. When the vacuum is not hooked up there is not any problem with the air in the pot. I even replaced the skimmer plate. I have noticed that my pump pressure drops from 15 to 10 when a vac is attached.

I replaced the hose from the skimmer to the pump thinking that maybe there was a air leak somewhere in that line, but it didn't help. When the vac is hooked up it wants to try and suck the new pipe closed. (clear hose with reinforcement) I'm at a loss as to what is causing this.

There are no air bubbles coming out of the return, but sometimes I do hear some water gurgling sounds at the top of the sand filter. I've tried listening everywhere with a stethescope, but so far nothing really shows up.

Any thoughts out there for things I can check? It's driving me crazy.
    Karen
    18' AG

mas985 is offline Lifetime Member Whizbang Spinner mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars mas985 3 stars

Default Re: pump problems

Sounds like you may have some sort of blockage in the suction lines for the cleaner. Do you have a separate line for the cleaner? If not, do you have two skimmers and can try the cleaner in another skimmer? Give me some more details on your plumbing set up and how the cleaner is used.
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump/Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, MaxFlo SP2303VSP, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Lightbulb Re: pump problems

Karen, sounds like you've got an AG pool (memory also hints at this). If this is the case, you've only got the skimmer to suck through. A decrese in pressure is caused by restricting or lengthening the amt of pipe the water is being drawn through (on systems with 2 suction ports, I hook up the vac and close the other port enough to get a 1/2 - 1 psi decrease for good suction, but not so much you can't move the vac head). I'm thinking that the vac head or Diver Dave is getting stuck to the floor and you're getting a vacuum in the pump basket - not air. Why it's happening now when it didn't last year, I'm still contemplating. As you replaced the skimmer plate, I hope you saved the old one - if you did, try drilling a 3~3/8" hole in it and see if that alieviates the problem - I have one on my service van with the hole that we use when there's only the skimmer to vac through. [Air in the pump basket would alieviate the 'collapsing' of the skim to pump tube]
    I'm not the best with pump/ flow/pressure differentials/ dynamic head -- etc, but it might be worth the effort to try the hole in the old skimmer plate and see if it helps - and if it doesn't help enough, drill another hole... until you have the suction and performance you want. *NOTE - as the filter gets 'dirtier', you'll loose suction and may have to plug any (some/ one) of the holes drilled in the skimmer plate*
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Waste, thank you so much for the tip of drilling the holes in the vacuum plate. Dave is now happily swimming around freely! Thanks so much for your help. I just knew it was something simple.

Karen
    Karen
    18' AG

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

I'm just happy to be able to help !!
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

+ Reply to Thread