+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hayward spider gasket...uh missing?

Default Hayward spider gasket...uh missing?

Model is 244T and the vari-flo is SP714.

While filtering last night I notcied water leaking out the waste line. After some research i determines it to be the spider gasket. I got a new and took the top off the variflo and there is nothing there! I was already to scrape some gasket and it's just clean black plastic. Where could it have gone?

Default Re: Hayward spider gasket...uh missing?

Now the o crap moment. Is the gaskey supposed to be on the body of the valve part I pulled out or should i see it when I look down into the filter?

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Supposed to be on the lower body of the valve. The part that doesn't move. You should see the channels where it seats moulded into the plastic.
    Al

Yeah it's weird I undid the 6 screws and pulled the lid/handle off and there is just flat black plastic there. No grooves or anything. Hmmm you'd think they'd have some decent documentation on changing the thing.

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

That's interesting. All the diagrams I've found have no reference to a spider gasket. Same parts info for mine, the 711 model, do show the gasket as a replacable item. Maybe Hayward changed the design and either built it into a replacable assembly or eliminated it somehow. I do agree, the info detail stinks. Sorry I can't be of any help.
    Al

Ugh it gets worse. Wife took the valve to the pool store and they took the handle off...and then couldn't get the pin back in. Any tips for getting the handle back on?
    Last edited by scarywoody; 06-05-2007 at 11:52 PM.

Nope, no hints. Never took mine apart that far. If you're fighting spring tension then maybe some way to compress the spring. Like a big C-clamp? Just a totally uneducated quess. Hopefully someone else will chime in.
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by Poconos View Post
    Nope, no hints. Never took mine apart that far. If you're fighting spring tension then maybe some way to compress the spring. Like a big C-clamp? Just a totally uneducated quess. Hopefully someone else will chime in.
    Al
    Yeah i had some c clamps that barely fit the thing and they would bend, but not compress very well. Now I have some big ones I'm going to try to even out the pressure with. I'll report back

Yeah sooo the 2 big c clamps worked. I put a piece of wood under to keep it level and then a smaller piece on top to spread out the love. Popped the pin back in. Put it back together and it worked. Hehe well almost...the handle is on backwards, but I can live with that for now I guess.

I didn't use the spider gasket at all. My model has the gasket on the piece that comnes out when you undo the screws. A thin white gasket. I have seen 0 documentation of this anywhere. Ah well.

KurtV is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver KurtV 0

Here's the owner's manual (though that may be the shoddy documentation you already have). It does have the procedure for removing and replacing the handle, at least.

+ Reply to Thread