+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Too much DE added to sand filter

Default Too much DE added to sand filter

Per the awesome tips from this forum I added DE to my sand filter. But I am positive I added too much, too soon. Since the water is too cold for me to get in and feel exactly what it is on the pool floor, is it possible the excess DE flew right through my filter and came out the return, to settle on my pool floor? Also, I took my filter apart to spray out the sand as I realized, after four days of my pool not getting crystal clear, that I had a 3" layer of muddy silt on the top of my sand bed in the filter. Is it possible I didn't get most of the excess DE from the sand and it's blowing back into my pool? My filter looks to be in great shape inside, I don't feel anything is broken. Any help or insight is appreciated.

Default Re: Too much DE added to sand filter

Did you backwash the filter at any point?

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

You must first backwash before adding the DE.

Then, if you add too much, you simply backwash again to clear it out, then add LESS DE.
    Carl

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Don't forget the RINSE cycle too. Rinse is just running the filter in the right direction but dumping to waste. Gets rid of any stuff in the pipes left over from the backwash. 30 seconds max is fine. I do maybe 10-15.
    Al

Thanks a bunch guys! Now one more question, since I know where I definitely went wrong with adding the DE. Could that be the material on the bottom of my pool floor, it's only gathered in the couple wrinkles or so I have there. It's a whitish/beige color. Being that I put too much DE in, could it have flowed back out the return? TIA!

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Almost anything is possible but I would suspect adding too much DE would just plug up the filter and the pressure would really climb. Since you have been inside messing I guess some DE could have gotten past the sand. What about pollen or silt as the stuff on the pool floor? I've had both. Fine silt kicked up when filling from some wells may pass the filter as could pollen. My pollen, and I believe this can be a general statement, has a yellowish color and may be hard to tell from silt unless you look at it under a microscope. Silt looks like fine, beat up sand and pollen has a very regular spherical shape. DE in the sand filter should trap both but the easiest way to eliminate would be to vacuum to waste.
    Al

Edit: Check these threads

http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=6799
    http://www.poolforum.com/pf2/showthread.php?t=6744
    Last edited by Poconos; 06-04-2007 at 03:54 PM.

I think you are onto something as we've been bombarded with pollen lately here in Western PA. Our vehicles are covered in it and it makes total sense that it could be what's at the bottom of the pool. And, well duh on me, but we are building a deck around the pool and it could be sawdust.

Could be the sawdust landed right in the pool and sunk. Should float though but not sure about the pressure treated stuff. Check the edit on my above post.
    Al

Thanks a lot!!

Use filter socks! Use Filter socks! Use filter socks!

The NE is just COATED with pollen this year. I have both skimmers using filter socks and change them every day. I can literally PEEL a layer of pollen off of each sock every day! If I leave them 2 days, the layer could be used to make a sweater!! Its both gross and pretty cool. (I actually thinks its a combo of pollen plus the white fluff from cottonwoods and dandylions).

I haven't had to backwash my DE filter yet. I shudder to think of those layers and layers of pollen sitting inside my filter. Use filter socks!!!

+ Reply to Thread