+ Reply to Thread

Thread: new pool liner

Default new pool liner

Hello and thanks up front for all the information on this site! I don't think I would have even thought to try to erect our pool without all this great info and support. I have moved a 24' AGP to our new house. It currently is set up for a J mold liner. I have found several overlap styles that I like alot better and for a better price (even with the cost of new coping). Is changing the type of liner doable? What are the pros and cons of each type- any preferences? Thanks!

Default Re: new pool liner

Hi, the pros, not sure there are any. OK, there is one I heard the other day from a customer that was going to buy one. The sales rep told her it would be easier to keep the tile pattern even around the top. I told her that was probably true but I would not guarantee a wrinkle free installation. You never know if the liner well be slightly to big for the pool or slightly to small.

I know Matt has a j-hook liner and loves it, so before he comes aboard I will just say; he dug the center of the pool down by about eight inches, that does a lot to make sure the liner is not to big for the pool. He also has some nice install instructions above in the FAQ’s.

I personally swear by the overlap. The only reason for a beaded liner is if you have a deck that keeps you from removing the top rails. Then I can see it. Something like this
    http://www.shadebuilder.com/above_gr...nd_awning.html
    Other than that nothing beats an overlap.

They are less expensive and much easier to install wrinkle free. As for conversion, just buy the coping strips. The same retaining rods that hold the j-hook in place will hold the coping in place.

As for a tile pattern around the top of an above ground pool liner, worst idea ever. Vinyl liners never fit perfect, impossible. Some areas will stretch more than others. Centering is a near impossibility for most people. I worry far more about a wrinkle free install than I do about that stupid pattern around the top. I wish they would all just go away.

Said enough, Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

Yes, I love my J hook liner, however, had I not gone against what the instructions said, I'd have a really wrinkled bottom right now, having dipped the center really helped take up some of that slack.
    As for coping strips, Dennis, I think every manufacturer is somewhat different and it all depends on your pool type since I do not have any separate coping strips....well, I better explain my setup in more detail...
    My J hook overlap has an upside down J welded onto the top of the liner, this J is probably 3-4 times as thick as the rest of the liner, it just hooks over the top of the wall, there's nothing separate that clips this down, likely because I have a Vogue blow molded resin pool, and the top rail is molded with a channel that caps the top of the wall, so I would think this channel is what clips the liner - even though the fit is quite loose - I can feed a thin rope or webbing through there, but because the J is so thick, it won't slip out because the crimp (bend) in the J will not flaten enough to slip through.

Hi Matt. I have actually had much better luck with the j-hook liners fitting correctly than I have with the normal beaded liner. Poly did mention she would have to buy the coping strips. They do not allways come with the pools. Your pool was really designed for a j-hook as the top rail acts as the retaining rod. This is rare. It could be converted however, the rail fits just tight enough to hold the coping in place. The very first Doughboy Aqualines did not use a retaining rod over the coping and that was never a problem.

Anytime I am installing a beaded liner of any type, if I see it is baggy and not going to look good I pull it over the wall and add coping.

It is 107 degrees here in sunny Arizona. I wish I could send some of this heat up north to warm your pools for you.

Later, Dennis
    AG pool installer
    Arizona

Thanks for all the replies! I think I will go with an overlap liner with an all over pattern. That way I'll just need to worry about getting the wrinkles out and not lining up the tile pattern at the top. Since we started digging our site here in West central Ohio we have had rain and low temps! We sure could use some of that 107 degree sunshine! Thanks again, Polly

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

our weekend was unbearably hot - another prime example of why we have pools!
    My son was in saturday starting at 9 am and didn't get out til 4 pm except to pee and eat!
    Today we could use some of that Arizona sunshine - overcast, cold and possible frost tonite - pool will be warmer than the air for sure!

NWMNMom is offline Registered+ Widget Weaver NWMNMom 0

We have a J Hook which we love. We must have been extremely lucky or extremely A%#$ retentive when installing but we have a virtually wrinkle free liner install - not perfect but pretty darn close. BTW, I would venture to say that by the way my DH was cussing under his breath at me, it was the second choice - I was a stickler for making sure things were done right lol. I love my liner pattern - I'm picky about the way things look and could not find an overlap I liked or I would have gone with that due to cheaper price. Install was not hard though - the size was just right and that hot sunny day of install and fill made it all go right - that was the lucky part I guess.
    Beats driving to the lake!
    18'x33'x52" AG oval, hard plumbed system, 22" Pentair Meteor Filter 1.5hp pump, Goldline SWCG System, 2/4x20 SolarBear Panels, Biltmore Steps - 16x14' composite deck, Pool Rover Jr

+ Reply to Thread