Closed Thread

Thread: Simplied Pool Chemistry--making B-B-B even easier!

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Simplied Pool Chemistry--making B-B-B even easier!

I originally wrote this for another pool web site, but it's my own words. It's as simple an explanation of our methods of pool care that I think I can make. B-B-B is Bleach, Borax and Baking Soda.

It's actually all simpler than most people think. There's no magic, no secret formula.

Basically, you worry about Chlorine and pH--and everything else is ancillary to that.

Chlorine is controlled with bleach. Levels can safely be much higher than pool stores and pool books tell you. You can use nothing but bleach as your chlorine forever.

pH is raised with ordinary 20 Mule Team Borax, lowered with ordinary Muriatic Acid (available at hardware stores and Home Depot/Lowes).

Total Alkalinity is merely (mainly) a buffer to keep pH stable--raise T/A with Arm&Hammer baking soda. Lower it--well that's trickier.

CYA/Stabilizer keeps chlorine from breaking down too fast. But it's a 2-edged sword and the CYA level affects the ideal chlorine level. Easy to add, tough to lower

Calcium is needed for concrete pools, irrelevant for vinyl pools.

Most other chemicals are useless junk. The ones that aren't junk are ONLY useful if something's messed up.

"Shock" is a verb, not a noun. You don't buy "Shock". You "Shock" your pool by raising the chlorine level high enough to kill everything growing in it.

And you can't do anything right without a proper test kit.

That's it in what? Nine lines.

All the other information you need is easily accessible here a PoolForum.com.

CarlD
    Carl

Default Re: Simplied Pool Chemistry--making B-B-B even easier!

I think that if everyone read this first, all of the chemistry [problem] questions would diminish rapidly. I follow that to a T.

It doesn't get much simpler than that
    Regards,

Ron [ muvipix.com ]

Im gonna print copies of this and start handing it out. I *still* get looked at like I have 3 heads when I preach Bleach, Borax, Baking Soda. Its so simple, I think people doubt that it can work. My pool should be living proof, but I have a feeling people even doubt that I actually use BBB.

I'm gonna stand out in front of my pool store and hand it out....along with copies of my personal pool log that I've kept for 8 years documenting the success I've had with BBB.

It's fun to stand in the store and listen to people that approach the desk, like sinners begging forgiveness. "My pool is cloudy". The clerk says "say three hail Mary's and add this, this and this, call us in the morning".

All they have to do is TEST, add bleach, TEST...BE PATIENT!
    Ben's #1 rule.
    Nothing works better that Bleach and Vacuuming.

I bow to Ben!

Closed Thread