+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My DE filter works fine for like 10 min and then the pressure goes up

fog80 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst fog80 0

Default My DE filter works fine for like 10 min and then the pressure goes up

My water is pretty filthy but I keep backwashing and watch my money (de) flow out of my yard and then i put more money (de) into the skimmer for the filter only to work for a little while and then the pressure rises up to like 30psi and water barely flows into the skimmers anymore.

I opened up the filter and hosed the grids off twice in the last week, it makes it better for like an hour and then bam, high pressure.

Should i do the acid soak for the de tentacles or is there something else I am doing wrong?

Oh and another thing, when i backwash, how do i know all the de is out? is it when the water starts flowing clear? and then do i go ahead and put the full amount of de back in (5-6 lbs)?

I think I am doing something wrong when my pressure goes high. I've been bumping the unit which knocks the psi down for a few minutes and then it goes back up. Then I backwash for like 2 minutes until the water goes from milky to clear and then I bump some more and add a few big scoops of de to my skimmer. This was lowering my psi temporarily but now even that temporary period is very short.

What should I do?

Default Re: My DE filter works fine for like 10 min and then the pressure goes up

I think your first sentence says it all.

DE will filter out finer particles and clog faster than other filters. I have panels (grids) in my filter so I can't comment on what to do with the fingers.

I opened the pool to cloudy water and had to change out my DE in 24 hours but my water was sparkling clean. I think as you run your filter and it filters out more and more you will see the DE staying longer. Unfortunately I can't answer how long that will take as I've never battled "filthy" water.

What I've read here in the past is vacuuming to waste. My DE filter doesn't have this feature, maybe yours does. If you can get rid of any solids that are possibly causing this problem, it should get better.

My filter takes 7 coffee can scoops of DE and I think it comes to 3 1/2 pounds ... are you sure you're supposed to use 5 or 6 lbs. I usually bump and drain 2 or 3 times (remember I have a different filter) and then add the new DE.

Default Re: My DE filter works fine for like 10 min and then the pressure goes up

I have one of the Hayward Perflex filters with the fingers. It says 6 lbs. so that is what I give it after every flushing/backwashing. I get it in a 24lb. box that contains 4 bags, much better than dealing with the coffee can and mess.

That said I typically go through a 24lb box a year. Most of it is used when opening the pool as it takes 2 or 3 changes before it settles down. I can't imagine how many it would take if the water were "filthy."

Now I may not be doing it right and I have an in ground pool so an above ground might need a different procedure, but when I clean the filter, I turn the pump off, bump the handle a few times and open the drain valve on the filter. Once the water empties from the filter I turn on the pump with the drain valve still open and then turn it off once the water coming out the drain is clear (or at least matches that in the pool). This takes about 5 - 10 seconds. I stop the pump, and let the filter drain. Then I close the drain valve on the filter and turn on the pump while watching the pump handle. Once the pump handle rises (another 5-10 seconds) I stop the pump, bump the filter down and open the drain valve repeating the previous steps. After this second draining I close the valve, turn on the pump and then go feed it new DE through the skimmer.

The amount of DE needed by the filter should be listed on it. Mine has full instructions that I modified based on experience. And they were different from the instructions I received from the pool company that opened the pool for me the first summer after inheriting it. Once the water is clean and the system has settled down, it typically runs at 10 psi unless I have the Polaris 360 hooked up.

In any event, you'll keep seeing the pressure go up and need to bump the filter down, and change the DE until the water clears up. This is probably the biggest pain and hassle of running a DE filter. If you see the pressure rise twice in a 24 hour period after bumping it back down, it is a good sign that the DE has filtered all it can and the filter needs to be flushed and reloaded.

You should only have to acid soak the tentacles once a year. That said I don't give mine a yearly acid bath. I do take it apart and hose the tentacles off and inspect them before putting it up for the winter.

I was just having the same problem with my filter and after the help I received from this great forum , I filled my pool to above the skimmer and vacuumed to waste. You have alot of dirt/debris in the pool and that is causing your problem. Also after you finally have clear water, take powdered dish washing detergent and make a soapy solution to soak your filter in. Then recharge and you should be good to go , just keep an eye on all your levels.
    17,000 gallon vinyl in ground pool
    Hayward DE2420 Filter
    Hayward 325,000 btu natural gas heater

Thanks for all your help guys. I do this every year. I keep forgetting that it takes a my pool a while go get in good shape (thats another issue) and for the de usage to calm down.

Rbrenton is offline ** No working email address ** Rbrenton 0

I learned the slow way that there is no alternative to vacuuming to waste with a DE filter. It simply becomes overwhelmed much more quickly than one might expect, and my pool is always a pea soup mess in the spring.

I don't like doing that because I feel enormous pressure to get done before wasting more and more water.

ok yesterday I backwashed completely and added fresh de. I thought I was good because the psi dropped to 10-15 from 30.

I go inside and come back 30 min later and the psi is up to 25. So i bump and start again and the pressure only goes down to 20 and then goes back up to 25 within minutes.

The pressure is not the problem, its when the psi hits 25 the water flow almost stops, i see nothing going into skimmer and nothing coming out of the returns.

I backwashed and filled de three times yesterday and my pressure starts out at between 10-15is getting up to 30psi within an hour.

What do I do now? vacuum to waste? My water is more blue than green, but wont hold chlorine overnight, and i cant see the bottom.

When you test your water do you have a lot of combined chlorine? I'm guessing you're killing algae and that is why you can't see the bottom and the filter is clogging.

ok bad situation is even worse now.

i was vacuuming to waste today and making good progress because I was emptying the filter basket like every 5 minutes.

However towards the end i started losing suction and now i have a pretty serious clog in my skimmer line. I tried to force it through with a garden hose and that didnt work. Then i tried using a stick and it sort of pushed the clog down even further.

when i turn the other skimmer on and run the filter the clogged filter doesnt do anything. but when i close the other skimmer the clogged skimmer will work (but very slowly)

what should i do?

ivyleager is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher ivyleager 0

You could use a pipe snake, like plumbers use. I'll bet you can rent one for the day. Home depot would have one, but unless you think you'll be using it more than once, then not worth the $$.

I've always vacuumed to waste without taking out the skimmer basket. That way nothing gets into the pipes. Is yours set up that way?

Good luck.

CaryB
    (The Cup stays state-side!)

+ Reply to Thread