+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My DE filter works fine for like 10 min and then the pressure goes up

fog80 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst fog80 0

Default Re: My DE filter works fine for like 10 min and then the pressure goes up

Quote Originally Posted by ivyleager View Post
    You could use a pipe snake, like plumbers use. I'll bet you can rent one for the day. Home depot would have one, but unless you think you'll be using it more than once, then not worth the $$.

I've always vacuumed to waste without taking out the skimmer basket. That way nothing gets into the pipes. Is yours set up that way?

Good luck.

CaryB
    (The Cup stays state-side!)
    I wish I could have done it that way, but I have to take the skimmer basket out and put the hose directly into the hole. All leaves get trapped in the pump basket. I was filling up that basket every 7-10 minutes!

Last night I went to home depot to try the bladder thing I saw mentioned on this forum. However the thing like busted inside the skimmer and didnt remove the clog. I then took a super long drill bit and slowly tried to break away the clog in the skimmer and it seems to have done something because its not "squishy" anymore when I poke it with the bit. However I cant tell where the 90 degree turn is so I think i got the trash that was in the "straightaway" part of the pipe, but theres got to me more in the 90 degree elbow.

Today I think I am going to have to cut the skimmer line from the pump side (where it sticks out of the ground) and try either a snake or another one of the bladder things to force the clog out of the line.

Any other suggestions?

Default Re: My DE filter works fine for like 10 min and then the pressure goes up

does anyone know if a product like this works:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=8125

If I cut the pvc skimmer pipe at the pump and shot this co2 cartridge would it remove the clog in the skimmer line?

or am i better off trying the drain king from the pump side into the skimmer line? I tried the bladder thing in the skimmer itself last night and it busted (the bladder)

i was also thinking about getting a snake from the rental place on my way home.

what should i do?

I go with a snake. They make a hand snake but I can't find it listed on the Home Depot or Lowes websites.

To prevent the problem in the future, I'd recommend using a leaf canister with the pool vacuum. The fact that it saved me from having to empty the basket in the pump all the time made it worth it. It'll need a 3'-4' section of hose in order to hook it up.

update: last night i did a lot of sucking and blowing (get your mind out the gutter) with my shop vac directly in the skimmer line.

I have a feeling the clog was not leaves but actually undissolved de that caked up in the pipe.

I was able to suck up a vacuum full of de water and the pressure going down the skimmer has improved greatly.

I am soaking my de fingers in muriatic acid right now and hope that the pressure will finally go down.

I used a leaf eater vacuum (garden hose hookup) to pull a lot of leaves out last night. That was a lot better than using the filter vac.

ok after the acid wash my fingers turned white and my starting pressure is down to.....7psi!

I have never seen it that low before. I have been running it all weekend and have had to backwash and add de at least 4 times but at least its actually working.

the water went from a cloudy sea green to a blue that is clear enough to see all the leafy crud at the bottom.

when i get home from work today I will use my leaf eater vacuum to clear the bottom and I should be good to go within the next few days.

I want to thank everyone for all their help in helping me get running this year.

+ Reply to Thread