+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Two speed pump comparison

Default Two speed pump comparison

My above ground pool pump keeps over heating and kicking out. I am not sure what is causing this and if anyone does please let me know what the cause might be. It run 24 hours a day 3 1/2 months a year and is 8 years old. I am looking at a possible replacement of either a Pentair two speed 1 HP 340204 or a Hayward Matrix 1 HP 2 SPEED ABOVE GROUND PUMP PMP HAY SP15922S . I am not sure how the two compare nor am I sure how you switch from low to high. Does anyone run these motors and if so how do you switch from low to high? I only have 110 running out to my filter/pump so I don't have the option of 220. If anyone has either of these pumps or know which would be the better pump please let me know. I currently have a 1.5 HP Hayward Power Flo LX with a 200 lb. filter. I am reading I need to switch to the 1 HP to not over drive my filter and to get a two speed to save both money on my electric bill and to get the pool cleaned more efficiently on the low speed.
    Last edited by DavidP77; 06-02-2007 at 09:07 PM.

Default Re: Two speed pump comparison

I have a 2 speed 1hp Hayward Super Pump and the low/high speed switch is on the back of the pump.

You can save electricity (and extend the lifespan of your pump) by running it 8-10 hours per day instead of 24. As I understand it pumps should be sized to turn the water over in that time period.

When running on low speed it will take twice as long to turn the water. So while the power consumption is 1/4 to 1/3 that of high speed, it'll run twice as long making the actual cost 1/2 to 2/3 the operating cost of a high speed.

Davenj is offline Lifetime Member Thread Analyst Davenj 0

Default Re: Two speed pump comparison

I looked at the spec. for the Hayward matrix its a 110v pump. You could check the spec, for the Pentair also. I have a 2sp pump. I run it on low most of the time, I think it helps filter the water a little better. You can mount the switch on the pump as indicated by anotherpyr. If done properly (safety/code) you mount the switch next to say a timer.

+ Reply to Thread