+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is it normal for fine sand to work it's way through the filter?

Default Is it normal for fine sand to work it's way through the filter?

Replaced my sand with Zeobrite. I am getting about a tsp of sand each time the filter starts up. (I have a panty hose on the return that's why I know exactly how much I have) Took the filter apart this afternoon and saw that the fine, fine media is getting through the laterals. Will this eventually work it's way out and I just have to be patient? Sand in the pool drives me crazy .
    Nicole: 18' round AG with AstralPool Sand Filter and 1.5hp AstralPool Pump

duraleigh Guest

Default Re: Is it normal for fine sand to work it's way through the filter?

Is sand or zeobrite getting back into your pool....it's not clear in your post.

It's zeobrite in the pool.

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Sounds to me like you have a broken or cracked lateral in your sand filter's tank, or something's assembled wrong.

You should NOT be getting sand in your pool.

You'll need to empty the filter of the zeo to check the laterals. If something's cracked or broken you have to replace it.

I don't get the attraction of ZeoBrite. It's very expensive and a properly set up sand filter, with a little DE, can do just as well. I also use skimmer socks. So my $8 worth of DE is now been used for virtually 2 seasons, and I've only used half. One pack of skimmer socks ($5-$8) lasts a season. So the cost of the Zeo is far greater than the cost of the of the DE and skimmer socks. I'm still on the original sand into the fifth season and see no reason it won't last another 10 years or more.

Yesterday, I did a very careful underwater exam of my pool. Neither it nor the water has ever been clearer. I could look all 40' across the length and see NOTHING but crystal, crystal clear water. It's never looked that clear before either, and this was despite all the pollen.

So why would I replace the sand with Zeo? What's it going to get me?

Just my two cents and humble opinion.
    Carl

I emptied the filter out yesterday. There is nothing wrong with the laterals or the standpipe. I've replaced the spider gasket. Checked the multiport valve, no cracks. I could see the tiny particles of Zeobrite that were through the laterals and bottom of standpipe.

I replaced my sand last year and had an awful year with dirt/debris at the bottom of the pool, just got frustrated and changed to the Zeobrite hoping that would help the problem. I also use DE.

I even put a ball control valve on the return and have that closed somewhat to relieve some of the power of my pump.

At this point I don't really know what else to do.

ScottS is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst ScottS 0

I use zeolite (don't remember the exact brand, not that it matters) as my filter media too. I have a brand new 1/2hp pump, 19" filter, and I also get a puff of cloudiness about 2-3 seconds after the pump is turned back on. The cloudy water comes out for about 5 seconds or so and doesn't get trapped when I put a skimmer sock in front of the return.

I had the same issues with my previous filter (which was also brand new) using Zeosand.

I now second guess my decision to use this media. I bet if I would have gone with just good 'ol sand I wouldn't have the problem.

+ Reply to Thread