+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Just bought a Dolphin - would love tips

west1745 is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst west1745 0

Default Just bought a Dolphin - would love tips

I was a follower of the former forum and loved it - there were many happy Dolphin owners - so I just bought one. Decided that I want a super duper cleaner that is self contained and stops after 6 hours. Got a great deal on ebay.

So, if anyone has tips for using the Dolphin, would love to hear 'em!

THANKS!
    Last edited by west1745; 04-24-2006 at 09:39 PM.

Davenj is offline Lifetime Member Thread Analyst Davenj 0

Default Re: Just bought a Dolphin - would love tips

I pasted a quote from CarlD below. I tried this and its a better way to clean the filter bag.

"I dunk it in a 5 gal bucket of pool water, squeeze till the water is dirty (sometimes opaque), dump the water and repeat. Then I either let it dry until the next bag is dirty or then toss it/them in the washing machine on a normal cycle, no bleach, and then hang them up to dry.

This is FAR easier, neater, and much more effective than trying to clean the bags with a garden hose. A lot faster, too."

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Couple of other tips:

They don't like to run below 55 deg. (an issue at spring opening).
    Shut off the filter while it's running.
    Get at least one extra regular bag--you'll thank me!
    Carl

waldreps is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst waldreps 0

The five gallon bucket does work pretty good. Not to hijack your thread but where's the best(cheapest) place to buy an extra bag?

I also have a Dolphin and love it. Initially had problems due to an irregularly shaped pool (Grecian Style). It would get stuck in the "bowl" at the deep end. Once I instructed it to not climb walls all was well.

West1745, Which pool store on ebay did you get your Dolphin from? I have never bought anything off ebay before. I noticed there were a few stores selling. Any trouble with the purchase or shipping?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by luvapool
    West1745, Which pool store on ebay did you get your Dolphin from? I have never bought anything off ebay before. I noticed there were a few stores selling. Any trouble with the purchase or shipping?

Thanks.
    http://stores.ebay.com/THEPOOLMAN

I haven't received it yet - but really don't anticipate problems - he has really good feedback - 100% and he accepts credit cards and he posts his phone number. I got the dolphin diagnostic on one of his auctions for $650 plus $24 shipping. Not too bad.

They emailed me and shipped my Dolphin the very next day - it should be here any day now - will keep you posted.

I have bought a LOT of stuff on ebay - also got a Unicel filter cartridge for half the price it would cost in a store here.

As long as they have 99% feedback or better and accept a credit card payment you really can't go wrong - just make sure you are getting the best price (sometimes online places are cheaper than ebay) and that the shipping cost is not too high.

Thanks to all for the advice - this one does come with an extra bag at no charge. With the warmer weather here in Florida plus our two puppies this cleaner is much needed. Can you believe our pool temperature is in the mid 80s now? Wow!!

YEAH!! The Dolphin arrived yesterday and its maiden voyage to clean our pool was a grand success. The directions are simple, it is basically all set up - you just put it in and let her clean. The pool is very clean now - no problems - and the bag inside is clean now too. Used CarlD's tips on how to clean the filter bag by soaking in a bucket and voila - all done.

Would highly recommend this cleaner.

I like that it only has to run for 6 hours and then shuts itself off - little wear and tear on itself and our pool. I liked that it is self-contained and doesn't add more dirt to our cartridge filter which lessens flow on a daily basis - not good for a SWG.

Like that it SUPER CLEANS when you use it - which for us will probably be once a week or as needed. And also like how easy it is to use.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD
    Couple of other tips:

They don't like to run below 55 deg. (an issue at spring opening).
    Shut off the filter while it's running.
    Get at least one extra regular bag--you'll thank me!
    Where do you store yours when it is not in use?

VOLDADDY is offline Lifetime Member Weir Watcher VOLDADDY 1 star

I'm not sure if the Dolphin is the exact same thing as the Aquabot, but you have to rotate the handle after each cleaning. I got mu Aquabot on Ebay from Waterworks and they have been great. I had to send it in for service and they put a new motor in it for me ans shipped it back in about 2 days. They gave an extended warranty above the manufacturors too. Like posted above, check the feedback on the person you are dealing with and use a credit card through paypal. I buy a lot of stuff from Ebay. I used to be "smart" and buy my Baquacil by the case on Ebay and saved a lot of $$$. Then I discovered this wonderful site and the 3-B's of pools, and I can use the extra $$$ to buy a half a tank of gas.

+ Reply to Thread