+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stinging eyes Green hair & THAT smell....

Default Stinging eyes Green hair & THAT smell....

ok folks,
    Just so i have the facts to give all the critics who say clorine is the cause of all their problems....

Could you tell me again what causes:
    Stinging eyes
    Green Hair
    and That clorine smell (which i happen to LOVE )

Thanks
    ~Hoffmans

CarlD is offline SuperMod Emeritus Vortex Adjuster CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars CarlD 4 stars

Default Re: Stinging eyes Green hair & THAT smell....

Stinging eyes:
    1) pH too low. Raise pH to 7.3-7.8
    2) Combined Chloramines (the "bad" chlorine--also causes the "chlorine" smell)
    3) other contaminants from poor filtering or inadequate use of chlorine.

To cure 2) and 3) you ADD chlorine, even shocking your pool. This metabolizes the contaminants and breaks down the Combined Chloramines.

Green Hair:
    Copper from algaecides or "Dual Action" tri-chlor tabs. We only recommend Polyquat as an algaecide and it has no copper. While copper is an algaecide, it turns hair green and can stain pool walls and fittings.

To repeat: Combined Chloramines cause the smell, indicating that something's been metabolized, dirt, bacteria, suntan lotion, biomass, etc.
    A pool can have a VERY high chlorine level and almost no smell if it's very clean. My pool won't have that smell until a person gets in--then the impurities on their body get metabolized and the smell appears.
    Carl

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Talking Re: Stinging eyes Green hair & THAT smell....

Quote Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
    Stinging eyes:
    1) pH too low. Raise pH to 7.3-7.8
    2) Combined Chloramines (the "bad" chlorine--also causes the "chlorine" smell)
    3) other contaminants from poor filtering or inadequate use of chlorine.

To cure 2) and 3) you ADD chlorine, even shocking your pool. This metabolizes the contaminants and breaks down the Combined Chloramines.

Green Hair:
    Copper from algaecides or "Dual Action" tri-chlor tabs. We only recommend Polyquat as an algaecide and it has no copper. While copper is an algaecide, it turns hair green and can stain pool walls and fittings.

To repeat: Combined Chloramines cause the smell, indicating that something's been metabolized, dirt, bacteria, suntan lotion, biomass, etc.
    A pool can have a VERY high chlorine level and almost no smell if it's very clean. My pool won't have that smell until a person gets in--then the impurities on their body get metabolized and the smell appears.

Carl, have them wash off before using the pool
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

+ Reply to Thread