+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rough, sandy stuff on my liner

Pamsel is offline Registered+ Thread Analyst Pamsel 0

Default Rough, sandy stuff on my liner

I need some help figuring out what I've got going on in my pool. When we opened it 2 wks ago, it was dark brown. Actually, I think the water was fairly clear but the pool was covered with dark brown algae so it appeared brown. We've cleared it up but there is something on the bottom and sides of the pool that I'm not sure of. From a distance it appears to be a stain - a light, sand color, but if I look straight down at the side, I can see that it is not smooth. When I touch it, it feels rough, like sandpaper. It doesn't come off with the brush or vacuum, but if I rub it hard with my hand, I can rub it off. I'm wondering if this is some strange kind of algae or if it could be disintegration of my (old) vinyl liner.

I also have some residual dirt-looking stuff on the bottom of the pool in a few spots that does not clear up even though I've maintained shock level for days and the rest of the pool is clear. When I brush it, it clouds up and dissipates in the water, but settles out again by morning.

Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks!
    Pam, Illinois

"17'x33' oval 14.5K gal IG vinyl pool; liquid chlorine; Hayward Pro Series, M-S-244T sand filter; A.O. Smith Centurian, Switchless, 1.40 HP pump; Right now 24/7hrs; Pool Solutions PS234
    Serial #6511, Drops / Powder; Community well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:8.3"

Default Re: Rough, sandy stuff on my liner

I have a little more information tonight, if it will help anyone figure out what's going on with my liner. I got into the pool today and found that if I used a steel-wool pad I could scrub the rough, sandy stuff off. So, I scrubbed down the sides of the entire pool. The problem is that this stuff is also on the bottom of the pool and I can't scrub the entire bottom of the pool.

When I was in the water and felt the roughness of this sandpaper-like stuff on my feet, I realized that whatever this is, actually started last summer. I remember there being a slight sandy colored stain in a few spots on the pool floor last year and I also remember that there were a few spots that felt rough on my feet. Whatever is causing it, has become much worse this year because it covered the entire liner this year. (There is none above the water line.)

It poses another problem in that dirt settles in it and the sweeper can't pick it up because it clings to the "sand". That is why I have the dirty-looking areas on the bottom of the pool. Can anyone tell me what this is and how I can get it off the bottom of the pool?

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks!
    Pam, Illinois

"17'x33' oval 14.5K gal IG vinyl pool; liquid chlorine; Hayward Pro Series, M-S-244T sand filter; A.O. Smith Centurian, Switchless, 1.40 HP pump; Right now 24/7hrs; Pool Solutions PS234
    Serial #6511, Drops / Powder; Community well; summer: none; winter: mesh; ; PF:8.3"

aylad is offline SuperMod Emeritus Burfle Ringer aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars aylad 4 stars

Quote Originally Posted by Pamsel View Post
    Can anyone tell me what this is and how I can get it off the bottom of the pool?

Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks!
    It would help if you would post levels for TC, CC, pH, alk, CH, and CYA. Otherwise, we'd just be guessing.

Janet

waste is offline PF Support Team Whizbang Spinner waste 3 stars waste 3 stars waste 3 stars

Cool Re: Rough, sandy stuff on my liner

Pamsel in distress again?
    My best guess, without chem #s, is that the 'sand' is calcium - I'd say that when the #s come in, you'll see high-ish pH, alk and calcium - it's the classic combo for calcium precipitation. Lowering the pH will help absorb it back into suspension in the water, you may have to drop the alk as well - the calcium is only going to go away via draining the pool . edit (some of the watere, not the whole thing!) - end edit

I hope that this was what you wanted in your pm - last night I didn't even log on, the weekly 'safety meeting' at my boss' house went into extra innings

Please take care, it's good to 'see' you again! If you've more ?s, you know what to do. After you get this cleared up I HOPE that you have nothing but a wonderful summer enjoying your pool!!
    Luv & Luk, Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill libraries

Hi there, Waste & Janet,
    Yes, a damsel in disress again! Thank you both for your kind assistance. I'm sorry, I should have known to post my numbers.

CL - 6
    FC - <1
    PH - 7.5
    TA- 160
    I'm sorry but I don't have a Calcium number. I will do that this evening.

My husband happened to meet a man over the weekend who is the pool maintenance man for several country clubs in the area. He said it's iron from our water and that I need to be using a "stain ban" type of product. Actually, I have used that in the past but last year when I found this forum, I stopped using everything from the pool store! I used a "stain magnet" last night which is supposed to pull off what's settled on the floor and sides of the pool. (This is what this pool maintenance guy said I need to use.) So far, it doesn't seem to have done a lot, but it's extremely windy and I don't have a real clear view of the floor, due to the water being rippled by the wind.

I'll get my numbers again this evening, including calcium and will post them.
    Thanks for being willing to help me out again. Other than the stains, the pool looks beautiful with crystal clear water! That's thanks to this forum, completely!
    Pam, Illinois

Watermom is offline SuperMod Emeritus Quark Inspector Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars Watermom 4 stars

Your chlorine numbers don't appear to be accurate. FC + CC = TC always. When you say CL, what do you mean? TC? If it is your TC reading, I doubt you have a combined chlorine (CC) reading of 5. We also need a CYA reading. Retest and repost those numbers and somebody here can help further.

Oh, Watermom, you're right - I was in a hurry and posted inaccurately. Thanks! I just had seen the responses from over the weekend and was hurrying off to someone waiting for me and wanting to get a reply done before I ran off again. The correct numbers were FC 6 and CC <1

Here's my numbers tonight:

CL 0 - this is because I had to let it drop below 2ppm yesterday before adding the "Stain Magnet" last night.
    TA 140
    CAL 180
    PH 7.5 - I had also dropped this to 7.2 yesterday, but it's back up to 7.5 tonight
    CYA 36

Hope this helps to figure things out. Thanks!
    Pam, Illinois

+ Reply to Thread