+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Adding DE to Sand Filter; I Know, I know but idea not addressed in Sticky above

MikeInMo is offline ** No working email address ** MikeInMo 0

Default Adding DE to Sand Filter; I Know, I know but idea not addressed in Sticky above

First, I have read the sticky and numerous other posts about this topic. The one item I never hear about is the method of adding the DE that I think would be simplest....

Why not just unscrew the top off of the sand filter and lay down a layer of DE directly on the sand??

Or in the alternative why not just pour the DE/water mix right into the filter?

I haven't added any DE yet but will do so in the next couple of days, so prompt replies are appreciated.

Finally, I am trying to shorten the adding process some and am wondering whether and to what extent the amount of DE to add correlates with the amount of sand your filter uses. As mine uses 925 pounds of sand should I still start at 1/3 of a cup of DE or can I significantly increase that amount?

Poconos is offline SuperMod Emeritus Whizbang Spinner Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars Poconos 4 stars

Default Re: Adding DE to Sand Filter; I Know, I know but idea not addressed in Sticky above

By far the easiest way to add is to mix in a slurry and slowly pour that in the skimmer. You will also get a more even layer. I've popped my valve off for other reasons and the DE layer looks pretty uniform. Why fuss with taking things apart when you don't have to? One thing to be careful of is breathing the dust. Not good. The water slurry minimizes the risk. The amount you ultimately put in should be more dependant on the surface area of the sand. You've got nothing to lose by using a greater shot...if you overshoot, just backwash and start over.
    Al

matt4x4 is offline Lifetime Member Verb Herder matt4x4 2 stars matt4x4 2 stars

Default Re: Adding DE to Sand Filter; I Know, I know but idea not addressed in Sticky above

Once you've figured it out (the amount required) you can always use the same amount so it should go relatively quickly.
    Poconos is right, best even distribution happens if dumping slurry slowly through skimmer.

Agreed, dumping it into the skimmer is as easy as it's going to get.

Also, I think there are more variables than just the amount of sand you have when determining how much to add. Pump size and plumbing for example. I notice a reduction in pressure at my returns and drains if I add too much even though the psi at the filter has only risen a couple points.

I'm down to adding only half a cup (about 6 ounces). Anything more and things start acting funny.

MikeInMo is offline ** No working email address ** MikeInMo 0

Well it took 5 and 1/2 cups to get a tad more than 1psi increase.
    Took forever doing it a half cup at a time with 20 minute pauses between each new addition. Still amazed at the amount it took even given the size of my filter. Course last year I rarely had to backwash because the filter is somewhat oversized.

Didn't see any floaties in the water, neither DE nor the normal things I was seeing float in front of the lights. I'm looking forward to seeing what it will look like tomorrow afternoon.

Is there something wrong that I needed that much DE?

Keep checking your pressure! Mine takes a lot longer than 20 minutes to increase... sometimes a couple hours.

+ Reply to Thread